1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Taking pets

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Jessi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Do any of you take your pets when you go camping?

I know some people take their dogs with them, but I would be worried about them running off or getting bit by something while we're out and me not knowing how to treat it.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think it depends a lot on how well you can trust the animal. Some dogs I know if let off a leash would run crazy and not respond to any commands, some however would stay around with the people and always return when called. I don't really know what kind of other pets you could bring along besides a dog, were you thinking of something?

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I've actually read about people taking their cats. Like instead of putting the cat in a kennel while they are out camping or hiking for a week, they took it with them. Then they put it on a leash while there so that the cat didn't go too far.

4. rdahl125

rdahl125 Newbie

I have to agree with post #2. I have two dogs, and one of them is a crazy rescue that likes to romp around and explore on her own and she mostly listens to commands when we're in the house, but once she sees a squirrel or finds something to sniff, she's off like a rocket and good luck catching her! Our other dog, however, is a trained and certified therapy dog, and she always listens to commands -- she'll stay seated with a treat on her paw and not eat it until you tell her it's okay. So usually, we leave Misha the rescued crazy-dog with my aunt and we take Brooke with us. (By some sad twist of fate, Misha's the one that doesn't get carsick and Brooke gets motion sickness so horrible on car trips that we often have to basically knock her out with medicine!) In conclusion I'd say it just depends on the animal's temperament and how worried you are about losing them. I wouldn't take an animal with you camping if it was just going to be leashed to a tree the whole time, that's no fun for them or you!

5. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We do take our dog with us. But this dog of ours is really just one of the family. He is so used to being with us everwhere we go. he sticks with us and follows my sons everwhere. He is a very good tempered dog. And he is older too so he really is not hyper or to active at this point. He just wants to be with his family. He is a black lab and he is 10 years old now. I would never take our cat anywhere with us. That would just be an exercise in crazy. I can't think of very many people that will bring there cats on vacation.They are skittish and can be very destructive.

6. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Our cat would be afraid outside our house let alone in the wild. He would likely bolt and be never seen again. Although he might come out for his favorite and only food "Taste of the Wild" which includes Elk, Venison and blueberries. He eats better than I do!

7. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I have taken my dog with me camping and he was not an issue. Just make sure when taking him into the bush that you check him for ticks. Make sure they get plenty of food and water as well.

8. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If an animal such as a dog is taken on a camping trip I think it would be important that the animal be well-behaved and kept on a leash. If it is a big dog it would provide personal protection and companionship. However, it is important to bring enough food and water, as well as, doggy pickup bags for poo. It is not fair to other campers if they have to walk around your dogs messes or have stepped into it. Nor should anyone have to listen to a dog barking 24-7, while it's owner is off on a hike or swimming.

Sometimes, the kennel or having a family friend care for your pet is the best option for the animals. Yes, you will miss them, and they will miss you, but the comfort of knowing their well cared for can give you peace of mind and make your camping trip or vacation that much more relaxing.

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

If I decide to go bird hunting then I'll bring the dogs, but otherwise I'd just as soon not have the added baggage as it were. I mean there isn't any reason for me to worry myself with neeeding extra food, water, or whatever. Also I have a tendency to go off the beaten trail. It's not like I need to be chasing about other living creatures.

Draft saved Draft deleted