1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tall people in tents?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by campforums, Oct 16, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Maybe it is just how tents are by design but I personally have found them to be very hard to stand up in and I always hit my head when I stand up in the morning. I am 6'0", which isn't freakishly tall or anything but maybe some shorter people or the ladies don't have this problem. The dome tents are generally much better I think because unlike the more classic A-frame style tents they do not slope down as much at the edges.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

You need an Alaknak Dude - the centre pole is nine feet tall. :) However...I can appreciate the cost might be a factor. :(

3. campforums

Yes, indeed as with everything in life cost is a factor... :(

I don't mind roughing it a little bit though, feeling cramped and a bit uncomfortable all contributes to the camping experience.

4. Northern Dancer

True - but then again I'm not six feet tall and sort of relish my luxurious camping [life] style.

5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

My dad was 6'6. He had problems getting anywhere without running into some kind of problems. But back in the day there was no fancy tents like they have now. Now a day you can park your car in the car port area of the tent.

6160-Grand-Cabin-Canvas-Tent.jpg

6. Northern Dancer

It would be a great base tent :) - but not for winter or going into the interior. :(

7. campforums

Honestly though, it is not so much the height but I am sure if your dad is 6'6" the problem was more about when he lay down. Even when you are at home in your own bed he might've had some problems with his feel poking of the edge of the bed. If you are camping in a large tent like that you can angle yourself any-which-way but for the smaller (less than 4 person tents) you can't really do that.

I'm sure you have a solution for that ;) Your base camp tents look like they are one step short of constructing a cabin :D

Draft saved Draft deleted