1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tent or Camper?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Francy, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Francy

Francy Newbie

Do you prefer a tent or a camper? I think there are pros and cons to both. For us, it's nice to have a tent when we want to go camping back in the deep woods where a camper can't go. However, a camper is nice because of the accommodations such as beds, toilets, showers, etc.

We have used campers before but have never owned one, yet we're looking into it. We've camped via tent for years. What do you prefer?

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Well, I just bought a new tent for use this summer, but I also love pop-up tent campers. However, the price is more than I can afford right now and I am not sure if my old car would be able to pull one. So I guess I love my tent and will daydream about a small Coleman Pop-up tent camper for the future. :)

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've never actually gone camping using a camper but I have checked out a couple of winnebagos when I've been at camping exhibitions shows or at camping stores that have them on display. Personally I find them to be a bit cramped and stuffy. I think part of the experience of camping is being outside and I feel like being in a camper kind of destroys that feeling. Some camp sites do have rustic cabins that you can rent (usually without power or plumbing) that seem like a good compromise between the two to me.

4. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Depends how far you will be traveling. If you're going for long distances i think the Winnebago is the best way to go, i mean who can turn this down?

wb_52efd83c_SmartSpace_MR-14.jpg

5. Francy

Francy Newbie

Agreed! The Winnebago is super nice! Oh my! I'm not sure that I would ever want to leave the camping site! In fact, I may just set it up at my house! Lol...since we live in the country, it's almost like camping out every night!

6. 2sweed

I agree with Erik, I would not mind living in a Winnebago, minus all the extra's shown in picture, but I like camping in a tent. It is what brings back the wonderful moments when younger and spending quality time in the wilderness.

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

When I camp....I camp. When I go to a hotel, motel, cottage, camper trailer...I do that.

But when I camp...I camp.

8. lorr

lorr Newbie

We have a small camper. We stay outside & only go in at night.

9. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I guess it depends on the purpose.

If I'm specifically going camping to be out in the woods, then definitely a tent!

But if I'm going on a long trip and just trying to avoid spending on hotels, then I would go for a camper for all the comforts while on the road.

10. Northern Dancer

...and then there is glamping!

11. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

I camped overnight in a tent my very first time ever just a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit it was ok and more memorable then the camping trailers. I, however, have to say that the trailers for my lifestyle better. I can't stand not having running water and/or air when its hot outside!

12. Northern Dancer

The thing about camping is that you can do just about anything you can imagine.

BUT - to go into the interior where there are fewer humans than wildlife...awe...that's a whole different forest. It's really hard to drag a trailer through the pristine lakes and streams where only a canoe can go. There is no place to park beside a bull moose foraging in the lake.

13. davbonpol13

davbonpol13 Newbie

All my life camping has been strickly done in a tent. I didn't think it was camping if you did it any other way, but that was when we were just occasional campers! Now that we are considering going full-time in an rv, a fifth wheel seems like the perfect fit for us. With a fifth wheel, you have the height of a real home when standing in the livingroom, and the coziness of a camper in the bedroom. I personally can't wait to begin our full-time lie o the road!

14. Tiara Murphy

Tiara Murphy Newbie

I have never camped in a camper. I know that the husband wants a smaller one, something that we can just kind of hook up and go if we want to leave for extended periods. As of now, I prefer a tent, but I do know that we plan on having a few more children, and in that case, we will definitely be changing to a camper!

15. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

2013-09-26 Little Bennett 2.jpg I like a tent if it is just me, but I really only use it at two places.

I have taken it to my daughter's and used it as an extra bedroom and as a place to occupy the kids during the day. I really like MacGyver's use of a wooden platform base and might build one at her house so I am up off the ground.

I take the tent to a campground near my mothers nursing home (which is another state), spend the day with her, and return to the tent to sleep. That campground has a nice raised platform for tents already in place - see the attached picture.

My tent is very easy to set up and take down as it is an instant tent - just extend the legs and click into place.

16. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Did you take that picture? It looks a lot like a children's sandbox but I guess that gravel or dirt that they have would be a nice flat surface to sleep on without any bumps.

Just saying if I ever went over to someone's house and they made me sleep outside in a tent I would not be pleased, even though I do like camping it is not when I expect when I'm staying as someone's guest. You must be a better sport than I am haha

17. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

While I am in the market for a camper, I don't know that I'd be willing to drag it out for just a weekend trip. I've had popups and I remember all the hassle of setting them up. I know a travel trailer doesn't necessarily have beds to pull out and canvas to mess with, but with a camper there's plenty to deal with that you don't get in a tent. Leveling, plumbing, heat, A/C, etc... Yeah, the conveniences are nice but there's something to the simplicity of a tent that really appeals to me. The hardest part of setting my tent up is staking it out. After that, it takes about two minutes to have a place to sleep. A tent can also go where RVs can't - another plus.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  18. Northern Dancer

A tenter I is and a tenter I'll probably be.
    Big, small, huge, large, dome, walled, whatever it be -
    I think I'll stay.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1QDa4QHybe7VKzN4QNOuQwBquph5iN6P4vt9tG0fXt2GB8gX8Ig.jpg

19. 2sweed

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  20. Northern Dancer

....I don't know for sure....but I sort of thought myself as being and old bear. At one time they called me Baloo.

:bear: I'm staying out of this one.

21. 2sweed

Sorry there are few old bear signs out that far in the wilderness, except for some bear tracks and stepping in you know. This was stating the art of camping without a travel trailer, in any type of tent is lots of fun. Right?

The edited out sign was a goof!

Draft saved Draft deleted