1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tent or Camper?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Francy, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Ha ha....I've been called a lot worse. :blackeye:

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Just for you I rushed out and got the right sign. Hope you feel better now. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr_kDFoxGRBEVnZibH1puLcLu4V5AUccHybXjPc5oSSdzZg88B8A.jpg

3. Northern Dancer

I'm fine; but for the record this is the totem.....
    68h25g.jpg

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Like I said old bear signs are hard to find. So the bear sign and your totem differ only in the direction taken, yours has a much bigger belly and whiskers on his chin.
    :)

campforums likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

Ha ha how observant you are.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well it is a good thing that those modern conveniences don't appeal to you because I'm sure they probably cost extra. If you could get a camper that was just beds and a place to mount your solar gear would you have gotten one already?

There's the poet again ;) Where did you come across that painting? I really like the style.

7. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

LOL I never said that the conveniences don't appeal to me. I just said they can be a lot to deal with compared to the simplicity of a tent. When I do get a camper, it's going to have everything necessary to keep out of hotels when traveling - bathroom with shower, heat, A/C, a kitchen and a fixed bed that's at least a double or queen size.

8. Northern Dancer

Well...like we have said before..."Camping is what you think it is". And there ain't no harm in dat.

But alas.... (for me)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr_9ETIyJa7EBtbummd0SyBJ9Y8TT8Bx6aN7tINWK9n6RhGNwRlA.png

9. campforums

Depending on how much you travel you could save quite a bit that way

10. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

My pretty limited camping experience has all been camping in tents so far, though I'm not necessarily opposed to a camper. I see what you mean about pros and cons to both choices...I grew up around a "tough it out" mentality that didn't really respect campers as a 'serious' camping method but I don't really agree. I don't see why wanting to have plumbing and a bed makes it less of a "real" camping experience.

11. L_B

L_B Explorer

I prefer a tent. You can pitch it almost any place and it is easy to pack up and move each day to a new place. I have camped in a camper and I actually do own a camper trailer but I still prefer the tent. There is just something about sleeping in a tent.

12. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

My little travel trailer just needs leveled and hot water tank lit if we are dry camping as we fill with potable water at the rest area near our home.

If at a campground, then water & electric hookup, and light the hot water tank.

Takes very little time.

Putting down the stabilizer legs, setting out chairs etc. is optional and often waits til the next day.

13. raysuf

raysuf Novice Camper

This is our compromise. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1436488543.285238.jpg

14. campforums

That trailer is just for your gear right? It doesn't look big enough to sleep in. Do you have any trouble fitting larger or wider shaped items like tent poles through the door?

15. raysuf

raysuf Novice Camper

There's a tough crowd here, lol. There's a queen size bed inside and a galley, with sink (2.5 gallons of water storage) off the back. I'm 6'3" and fit just fine. It stays packed with all our camping gear and extra shelters (canopies, tarps, and screen houses) to match the environment.

This was the solution to a lot of barriers my wife had to camping more. She didn't like setting up camp in the dark and that is when we normally arrives at our site. She didn't like the packing, unpacking and repacking gear, in the car ,multiple times in one trip.

Her wants were: a food prep area that was familiar no matter where we were. A secure sleeping area. Something economical. Lastly the living space needed to be outside, no cooking inside and no common area to keep us inside.

16. campforums

Sorry lol, I did not mean it like that. It is just that it is sometimes hard to tell from a picture. But it sounds like you made a good compromise with your wife, did it work? Lots more camping trips coming up?

17. Faust

Faust Explorer

Tent as I only need the most basic protection from the elements. I prefer to sleep outside actually, I usually do once my better half nods off.

18. William

William Novice Camper

I like tents more, but it just me :)

19. Northern Dancer

T...E...N...T (S) Intense :blackeye:

20. campforums

21. Northern Dancer

_________________________________________________________________ :bear:

...tis a grizzly.