1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tent or stars

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by JoshPosh, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

If you are staying for weeks it isn't any bother. If it's a weekend you go for fast. When I use a tarp in the interior is is specifically light, quiet and fairly big. I use excellent rope too. This is one of the tarps I use.

upload_2015-1-4_23-25-48.jpeg upload_2015-1-4_23-26-10.jpeg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What's the difference with that one? I can't quite make it out in the picture, is it just a nicer material than those generic blue ones?

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The fold up one will be a lot smaller and lighter than the one you have. And that is the primary difference. Though the one that I have does not have that annoying flap noise in the wind. It's just a matter of choice. Because I can, I purchase a better one for what I believe are my needs. The one illustrated is a Silicone Scout Tarp for $85,00 and is ultra light weighing in at 515g or 18.2 ounces. I got this one at MEC as you can see.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh I see, not worth it to me. But I understand what you mean about that annoying flapping noise. When the wind is calm it is usually not even noticeable but on some days when the wind is rough it starts flapping around very violently making a loud noise that makes you think the whole thing is going to go blowing off taking the trees it is tied to with it. It is after all basically like a parachute, so I shouldn't be surprised that it catches a lot of wind.

Draft saved Draft deleted