1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Adirondack Park, NY

Discussion in 'United States' started by 2sweed, Apr 7, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Located in New York, state this park boasts of having 46 mountains, nine of which have alpine zones and 2,300 lakes and ponds. there are 1,500 miles of rivers and 30,000 miles of brooks and streams. The park includes both private and public lands and offer the chance for wilderness camping and canoeing adventures and lots of great fishing. You can pick a secluded camping spot or one with electric and water, and sewer hookups and such, for your RV.

This Park, is separated into four regions which includes the High Peaks of the northeast and the lake and river areas in the center, then Lake George in the southeast and the flat woodlands leading into the St. Lawrence valley in the west.

There are around 64 species of mammals in the park, that include deer and moose, plus 300 species of birds and 82 different types of fish.

There is also the Adirondack museum to visit located near Blue Mountain Lake, and the White Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway that is close to the top of the highest peak that is the only one accessible by car, although, at the end of the road you need to walk about 500 feet to the top. The view takes in Lake Champlain and even Montreal. And for those who like to climb there are 46 high peaks, like one named Tongue Mountain and Black Mountain Point.

You can even park your car and take to the waterways by means of your own boat or renting a boat or riding a cruise ship. And there are even sections of white water for those daring enough to give them a try on the Hudson River tributary.

My family visited the park many years ago when I was a teenager and it was beautiful. We camped in our tent and enjoyed the park for a few days before moving on.
    Have you ever visited the Adirondack Mountains Park? If so will you share some of your adventures here.

2. mett1982

mett1982 Novice Camper

I'm from central New York. I live about an hour from Old Forge, which has some great camping and mountains to hike. So every year from summer to fall my family and I love to get out there as much as possible. I have hiked some mountains in the park as well. My brother and I would love to complete the Fire Tower Challenge. So far we have done 3 of them. Blue Mountain, Kane Mountain and Bald Mountain. We have also hiked Rocky Mountain and Black Bear Mountain. Rocky and Black Bear pretty much start at the same trail head. Rocky is a short but steep hike. I think it's a little over a mile around trip and the view is my favorite out of the mountains I have hiked. Black Bear isn't too hard. There are some steep parts but it's a long hike. About 6 miles round trip. My family and I have been slacking when it comes to hiking these mountains. I really want to do more of them this summer. Also I want to hike some trails that lead to these awesome waterfalls. I can't wait until this summer because it's going to be an active one!

Draft saved Draft deleted