1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Backpacker or Camping LogBook

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2sweed, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When planning a camping trip or a backpacking trip it is fun and useful to create a logbook. Using a medium notebook with wire-bound pages or even a loose-leaf notebook, you will be able to record your trip in style. Start off by collecting maps of the area you plan on visiting. Then if necessary cut the maps to fit the pages and mount them on the notebook pages leaving room to write down interesting trail facts, like trail markers or wildlife seen, camping and picnic areas, or other facts you don't want to forget.

Be sure to take along pens and a pencils and orange or yellow, or light red felt markers for mapping out your route and jotting down tiles of different items you want to remember. Allow as many pages as you think you might need and leave space to add pictures of your trip. This idea is great for adults, as well as, children.

How To Make Your Logbook
    1. Design and letter a cover for your personal logbook.
    2. For ease of reference index corners of your trip that are all on the same subject and mark so they can be identified.
    3. Use rubber cement to glue sections of the maps on the center of each sheet of paper.
    4. Add sectional inserts for different parks or trails you wish to investigate.
    5. Be sure to mark your planned trip and also any changes you make on the trail, as a guide for the next trip or for return trip.
    6. Take lots of pictures and print out a few for your journal.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Do you have a specific kind of camping/backpacking log book @2sweed? I have a sort of all purpose journal/agenda which I keep notes in but I think you might be on to something in keeping a separate one which could include scrapbook items of different camp sites I have visited. I also wouldn't have to bring the other stuff with me when I went to a camping trip.

When it comes to picking a journal though I would use something a little nicer than a typical wire-bound notebook. You will likely be keeping this journal for a while so you want it to last and you will also value it more when it is an item which is kind of unique and nice to handle. Same goes for the pen you use.

Thanks for the post, I can't believe I missed it seeing as how you posted this a while ago... whoops :shy:

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I would have the both utilities so you would not end up losing anything. The backpacker could contain your rations and the cooking equipment you can use while out camping. The backpacker would also be able to shield your belongings so if the rain shows up then you would not be in trouble. The camping logbook helps you document where you have been who you have encountered. I would be able to write down what foods I ate during the time I ate them so if I had a issue with what food I ate I can refer to the logbook.

4. 2sweed

I just used a small wire bound notebook and had a section with clear plastic pages to store my maps. I used it to jot down locations of hidden springs and wild plants, and as Profit mentioned foods that did not agree with me. But I also like to make note of deer trails and old trails that follow along hillsides, and other useful info. When I get back home, I would enjoy adding this info to my bigger journal along with pictures and stories about my trips.

I just wanted to throw the idea of using one out there for others to use or share if they already use some form of logbook on their camping trips. :)

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

So you keep 2 journals? Sort of like a rough copy and a good copy?

I have a similar kind of book which I use for recording my workouts, maybe I will get another one for noting my camping experiences as well. This is what the one I have looks like:

IMG_20141012_005502.jpg IMG_20141012_005521.jpg

6. 2sweed

Yes, two journals. One for hands on that gets a bit worn and dirty, where mistakes don't matter. And #2 for recording the experience and adding pictures and detailed information.

Draft saved Draft deleted