1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Goods on Food Coolers

Discussion in 'Food' started by Northern Dancer, May 9, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

FOOD COOLERS
    This is one piece of equipment I do not have.
    Yes I do have a picnic cooler but I'm not talking about that,
    I'm talking about a Camp Cooler.
    I read about this cooler and would be interested to learn about other people's experiences with coolers in general. Not picnic coolers - I know more than enough about those. I'm interested in proven durability and cost. No matter how you cool it - it is expensive.

otterbox-venture-25-cooler-700x368.jpg
    OtterBox thinks your next cooler will be modular. The company is going all-in on a new line of high-end coolers that it claims will stack up against any on the market, including its bold claim of keeping ice frozen up to 14 days.

The Venture line of coolers (25-, 45-, and 65-quart) cost $250, $350, and $400. They hit many of the notes now familiar to the outdoors market. Engineers dropped one out of the back of a high-speed pickup truck. It’s bear-resistant for protecting your food at camp.

The coolers have a dual, cam-over latching front closure and a large hinge that runs nearly the full back of the lid.

It’s worth noting the cooler is injection moulded, not roto moulded like some of its high-end competitors. The brand said that it chose injection moulding due to its familiarity with the process which is also used in its cell phone cases, manufacturing speed, and close tolerances.

The OtterBox Venture coolers are manufactured in Detroit, Michigan.

OtterBox will roll out the cooler in a unique fashion. It will first hit brick and mortar stores with consumer electronics giant Best Buy, of all places. It will also be available on OtterBox.com.

I'm looking forward to digesting the reports made about this product.

I would be interested in hearing about products you have used.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow that's pricey! I would hope it does as well as it claims to. I have had a few 4 day trips where every thing stayed good and cold in a cheap cooler, but it never got above 50 degrees outside

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I would almost hate to be the first to buy it at those prices without some solid evidential support of their claims. Wouldn't that be a problem solver, 14 days, that's almost too good to be true. But is often said, if we can put a man on the moon, why can't we build a better cooler. Well, something to that effect. Funny to hear Otter Box is doing this, I have three Otter Box products, all hold cigars and keep then from getting crushed while traveling. It's been some years since I've used those. I had forgotten I had them. I will certainly go to their site to follow along and I will also be interested in reviews on the topic.

I'm looking forward to digesting the reports made about this product. Funny ND...very funny!

4. Northern Dancer

Agree. The first thing I want to know is, "What kind of tests?" It's one thing to fill a cooler up with ice and leave it in a cool place for fourteen days and it is another to use ice and open the cooler three or four times everyday for fourteen days. I have used dry ice with considerable success. I do not mind paying big bucks for a product that does what it says it does - a lot of them don't. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMtfr-Q-mSpMErQfAn6cqdjjV6PBHrFz5dC6WeKTNq5eRNPwaE.jpg Yeti is another popular brand about the same cost.

upload_2017-5-10_13-26-23.jpeg The Alaskan Cooler and the Cabela's Cooler are similar. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpdmC3fPKJv6Q2BAwjlvEzpDiQZoRozSYmWX-IS5NXCSMANiRc.jpg Though it says Cabela's is certainly looks a lot like a Yeti.

5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I do not mind paying big bucks for a product that does what it says it does - a lot of them don't.

Yes that is so true. But by the time word gets out many people are stuck with an inferior product. Like I said in a previous post, manufactures sell romance in their advertisements not facts. Facts can be notoriously difficult to sort out as well. Practically have to be a detective any more

Believe it or not Coleman came out with a cooler that keeps things cold for seven days with just ice. Nothing like what you are talking about, but it does rival Yeti on that front and the cost was nothing like the expensive Yeti. 20170510_124942.jpg We use one as a freezer and one as an ice box. We are pleased with the performance as far as cooling and keeping things frozen. I'm not sure what kind of abuse they can take, we usually baby and take rather good care of our gear. Just saying, our experiences with ice chests. We normally have to add two bags of ice for the second week we are out in order to make it through. Temps are Wisconsin Autumn type temperatures, 85° - 95°F. We go in and get the days meals out of the freezer once a day usually. Ice box gets opened a considerable amount more. Easy enough when it's close to any place that sells ice, different story out in the bush.

Attached Files:

6. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I've edited this three times and I can't get it to stick. I'll just do this.

First paragraph in above statement is from Northern Dancer.

7. Northern Dancer

----->I've had the problem too - it's maddening when you can't correct it. You are in good company.

killeroy154 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

That's a cool camping cooler which has modules like a cabinet that can hold a variety of items. But pardon my skepticism with that claim of keeping the ice frozen up to 14 days. That is nearly impossible unless the cooler works like a refrigerator freezer or perhaps it is actually a freezer that is powered by solar. Our ordinary Coleman cooler can keep a block of ice (1 foot x 1 foot) for 48 hours but not more than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted