1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Ideal Weapon

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2sweed, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When going camping or hiking in the woods do you take a weapon with you for protection or for getting game for food?
    And if you take a weapon is it a gun like a 22 rife or bow and arrows, or just a knife, or a sling-shot?
    What do you do to ensure survival in the wilderness when you may need to protect yourself from a wild animal or another human out to do harm?

Many folks never give the thought of self protection another thought. They just head for the hills and let whatever happens come what may and most of the time no trouble crossing their path. So do we grow careless in thinking no man or beast, will never cause us harm, or do we think about it, but brush those thoughts away as foolishness?

We think of trail injuries like cuts and scrapes, sprained ankles or broken bones, but forget about the angry buck in rut or a mama bear with cubs, or a coiled rattlesnake laying next to a log we are about to step over. So if we think ourselves to be fearless and untouchable, does that keep us safe or are we fooling ourselves?

I have been thinking on the terms of learning proper snaring of rabbits and carrying a 22 for small game. A friend has told me about a gun with exchangeable barrels that is a 22, plus a shotgun. He says the 22 part would work for rabbits and the shotgun part would be good for game birds, and both would be good for self-protection. And by learning the art of snares it would save my ammunition.

So in the long run learning the art of snaring small game is a plus for catching rabbits and squirrels, and with catching smaller game you don't have to worry about spoiled meat. But the matter of self-protection still looms.

If you had to choose the ideal weapon, whether it be for survival or self-protection, which weapon would you choose and why?

2. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: I always carry a pocket knife in or out of the wilderness. I also carry my 9mm when I go hiking for personal protection. To many weird people lurking around the wilderness. You would be surprised how many people you could run into out in the wild.

3. mVd

mVd Newbie

I think a good knife is essential. Also pepper spray/bear spray if there are bears in your area.

4. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

I also carry a large knife with us when we go camping. I have never been a hunter, nor have my two sons. And even though I have shot off a gun at a range. I have never shot at a person or animal for protection before. Although in thinking about it, this may be a good idea as far as protection. 2sweed, you are so right when you say alot of people think about injuries or othr survival techniques. But protection against animals in the wild has never really crossed my mind as much. It is silly, now that I think of it. But this is very sound good advice. Sometimes the knife may not be enough. I should look into gun safety and a probable purchase.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I carry a pistol for protection, a small rifle for game, a machete for work, and I have a shovel that will do in a pinch. Honestly however I don't worry much about being mauled or attacked, because generally most animals want nothing to do with people and most people are not going to be out in the wilderness without reason.

6. spuncookie

spuncookie Newbie

I spent a few weeks camped at a natural hot springs last year. I really wish I had brought my pistol on that trip with me. I didn't actually end up needing it, but I would have slept a lot better had I brought it.

Most of the time the people you meet in the woods are cool people out to enjoy nature. But that's not always the case. That trip we found out how true that was. There was this one guy who apparently lived there in the bushes and stayed hidden most of the time. A crazy old man who would suddenly show up and start screaming at people saying he built the place and they needed to leave. WE eventually found one of the places he lived. It was a little lean to up on the hill over looking one of the more private springs where people commonly went for sexy time. There was lots of panties laying around he had apparently stolen from unsuspecting women. Was a little creepy.

And as if the crazy mountain dwelling pervert wasn't enough there was a group of tweekers that would show up every other day, and park their truck off the main trail and spend a few days getting loaded on meth. They kept trying to sneak into camp and steal food and pot from us. Succeeded one or twice actually. A local would come out eventually with a shotgun and chase them off.

When I'm near my families neck of the woods, where I usually keep my stuff I don't want to carry on the road with me. I usually will take either a shotgun or a pistol with me depending on how far I have to hike to get to my camping spot. Only ever shoot poisonous snakes that get too close to camp when we have kids or animals with us. I prefer to let them just move on, I'm in their house after all, but with children present the responsible parent beats out the tree hugging hippy part of my mind.

7. Lita11

Lita11 Newbie

Normally people use Ak47 when they go on camping so that they can make themselves safe and secure on journey.

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I don't know where you go camping, or who with but that certainly IS NOT normal! :eek:

9. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I figure a handgun and a blade would be a great combination to stay safe with. ALSO bear spray.

10. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Our country isn't at war at the moment - I don't carry a weapon.

In all the years I've been camping in my neck of the woods I've never been threatened or accosted by anything or anyone. The only irate characters that I have met along the way were chipmunks and red squirrels and the occasional Blue Jay and Crow. The discussion is weird and unfamiliar to me.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I agree with ND. I bought a small thing of pepper spray years ago for snakes and whatever may crawl up to me when camping, and also for when my wife and I traveled to what friends and family said were high crime areas like DC, Chattanooga, Atlanta, St Louis, or any other city. It went past it's expiration date and i threw it away. Never needed it. Camping with a friend that thought he needed to have a side arm for protection, has taught me that:
    1. I do not want to have to continually keep up with something that may get you seriously injured or killed.
    2. if you lose a pocket knife or pepper spray it's not as dangerous as a gun.
    3. good luck trying to shoot a snake or something else that suddenly erupts in front of you.
    4. And now for the big consideration.....
    Do you really think you could go on with a normal life if you shot and killed someone? Regardless of you or a family members life being in danger.

I have been camping alone while my vehicle, which was several miles away, was being vandalized. Visited big cities walked and rode subways along with other public transit while there. We have hiked most all trails in the smokey mtn. I have never had any incident where I needed a weapon to protect myself.

I hope I never do encounter something that makes me scared of camping, hiking or traveling. I have nothing against a gun, I used to hunt and also have some guns, but you must ask yourself if you can truly live with taking someone's life regardless of the event that happened. Or if you shakily pulled a gun out while you felt scared or threatened and make matters worse?

12. Northern Dancer

It's an interesting discussion for sure. I suppose it depends largely where one lives and kind of society you are engaged in. One can't be completely blind about social developments.

13. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I feel very safe where I live and to most of the places I have traveled so I have not felt much need for a weapon. But there is some areas where I know that is not the case and I can completely understand the need.

More related to camping, and you are fearing dangerous wild animals then I think if you are spending your time in popular parks or campgrounds you shouldn't really ever encounter any issues. Maybe if you are doing some serious back country camping, far off the beaten trail and away from people it might make sense to bring something but most of the time I think that the preventative measure are enough.

14. Northern Dancer

...true - I carry bear spray (but never have used it), I have a sling shot (I haven't used that either), I have my survival knife and Swiss army knife (usually use the Swiss), I have a hatchet (I use it to cut small trees and prepare firewood). I just have never been in a situation that required a weapon.

campforums likes this.
  15. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I like the pepper spray if I need protection. I figured if I encountered someone trying to do me harm while camping, and I have to take them down, then my little ole 3 inch pocket knife would make sure he never has any kids that would follow in his foot steps. And if you get dragged into court for removing their "dingle berry's", I would tell the judge I sure felt bad for the attacker when he slipped and fell on my cat hole shovel, and it sliced them things right off, after I got him with my spray. Ha. They actually make a pepper spray that Is in gell form, that be some wicked stuff.

All jokes aside. If I am going to fear for my life, then I will camp somewhere else.

campforums likes this.
  16. Northern Dancer

I like the last line killeroy154 - camp somewhere else.

I'm for law and order and good government and we are doing well at the moment.

17. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

Whilst hiking, I've, at times, carried a small "kit gun" in the form of a revolver. It is chambered for the .38 Special/.357 Magnum cartridge. It has the ability to shoot standard .38-caliber "ball" loads, snakeshot, and full-house .357 Magnum cartridges.

124039.jpg

The possession and carrying of said is legal in this state and the requisite license has been secured, of course.

18. I believe the best weapon is the one that you have been trained on, practice continually with and of course actually have on your person with you at that appropriate time of need.

Whether it be blade, gun or fist to cuffs...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

19. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I've given this some thought and like everyone else I have an opinion. Smith & Wesson and Taurus have hand guns called Governor and the Judge respectively. They shoot 410 Gauge shells for snake defence and 45 long colt for those nasty peace hating thugs. I've thought long about this and really the only true interest is for rattle snake protection. So my wife and I wear snake gaitors. If they strike higher than our knees, I'll be kicking myself for not getting the Governor. Well see how things pan out.

Bibsoutdoors

20. Northern Dancer

...why would anyone in their right mind take a gun camping? I prefer to take my dog - great companion.

This gun stuff must be an American idea - in all my years of camping [and there have been a few] the subject has never come up. We are more into - "What' the latest equipment?" or "I can make pancakes a lot better than you!" It's always about gear, and trips and new adventures and did I say FUN! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted