1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The imaginary Meeting Place of Babbling Campers

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by 2sweed, Jan 27, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Dancer, you are definitely heading north. (why....oh, WHY , will a man never ask for directions?) Anyway, put on the snowshoes and pack your tent and head south this way until you find us.

Just remember---- the sun will always be on your left in the mornings, and on your right in the afternoons. The snow not being so deep should be a good clue, too. Once you find water, then you can use the canoe, and watch for MacGyver in the Green Pickle.

Be sure to bring some extra food along, too. Since you have all of that great camping equipment, 2Sweed and I think that you would make a great camp cook, and we have invited some friends (who just LOVE to camp out), and they will be coming for a picnic dinner when all y"all get here.

campforums and Northern Dancer like this.
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Well today I packed up again and headed down the trail toward Georgia. I was stuffed from eating all that food and drinking coffee all night. Don't know how @happyflowerlady, got lost and missed the trail. There are signs all over pointing to Maine and Georgia. I left my sign in hopes she finds it and knows which direction I took as I am looking for another place to camp for the night.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTMwpSLVtPPQbay1yoszT1xU7iWIDF2bhQC0tpCdkIJ2mpThjkjw.png I am not in the alps, someone painted the top of this rock white.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

That was sensational - man...I'd give up my false teeth to be able to have an experience like that! :rolleyes:Only once did I feed a wild deer - came right up to me and took it out of my hand. But to see so many coming in for lunch with this couple was just fabulous.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. 2sweed

1054-e46b2ed68a8f2ac19772b3aaee573d1f.jpg While the cabins are a bit worn down, the river area looks nice from my high mountain view. I will take it into consideration and add the location in my journal. I am going to continue down the trail toward Georgia and see if anymore areas look promising. As I look up and down this trail I think of the many thousands of hikers that have trod on this path every year and the many following in my foot prints. It is so good to be out enjoying the freedom that camping and backpacking, provides. I sure wish I had a traveling companion......
    Well it is getting dark, I best set up camp.
    Camping_In_the_Woods_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_081216-036283-042042.jpg

5. Northern Dancer

Never been to Georgia so I spent a few minutes looking it up on the web to learn more about the State. Man, I'm still in the throws of winter with lots of very cold temperatures and an over abundance of snow.

Let's check this out - Georgia - founded in 1732 named after his Majesty King George II, Blue Ridge Mountains are there which includes the Appalachian system. Home of former President Jimmy Carter [who has travelled in the area that I live] AND there are 63 parks that include 15 historical sites. And then there is....

WAIT A MINUTE.:finger: ......63 parks? How do you expect to find me...I mean you?

The good news is that I'm heading out on snow shoes tomorrow.

6. 2sweed

I was sitting here looking through my travel journal and at my map realizing I will not actually go to Georgia, but must veer off at some point and head west. I will need to leave a sign at my turn off point or @Dancer & @happyflowerlady, will never ever find me. However, I am just at the Virginia state line now and the trail is getting very steep with lots of twists and turns. One false step off the trail and i could be lost in space for a few minutes before hitting the bottom. Not a very nice thought.....! Well time to turn in for the night.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2hhsKCkZK4iYqksExm5R14bellgML5bRo3ujfWZWXmdqQPYaieg.jpg images-q-tbn-and9gcqtefmyiscmtuyi0hsoonhwgg1zyhpbvj0-iz25jjvg16pi8w-b-jpg.1006.jpg upload_2015-2-12_22-28-37.jpeg

7. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

@2sweed, it looks to me (from studying your map), that your route is going to take you right through the middle of Huntsville. I am thinking that instead of fighting my way through all of this underbrush, maybe I should go back home and stay warm until you get here.
    We are having a snowstorm next week (did you order that for us Dancer ?), and i think that you and I may need showshoes and a tent with a nice stove in it if we are going to camp out down here, too, at this rate, 2Sweed.
    I was thinking more of nice sunny weather than a wind chill of -8F, which is what they are saying.

I was looking through my old maps, and I think that I have found just the thing !
    Amazingly, the earth is actually hollow, and it IS warm and sunny in the inside part of the earth. According to the map, there is an entrance into the middle earth in Kentucky, at a place called Mammoth Caves.
    We can meet up there, and head inside where it is warm, and enjoy some swimming even.
    What do you think ?
    Here is a copy of the map, so you will know how to find the caves.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. 2sweed

I stopped in a town along the trail and low and behold, there was a message for me from @happyflowerlady. It said we could meet in Kentucky, at a place called "Mammoth Caves". well I sent her a reply that it sounded like a fine idea and I would be there as soon as I can. The trail is long and the nights are a bit lonely so this is something to look forward too. Got a message from home that we have very low temps that have hit our area and my car battery is dead and drain pipes are trying to freeze up. So they said don't hurry home.

I found this nice place to camp last night. Think I am going to stay another night to rest and fish in the lake and start my journey south in the morning.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkPTO0NgMD1mS1136ZiqMVeMvCRp48FVBP_m7mZaIjxzFRzXaZRw.jpg

P.S. Love happyflowerlady's map.

9. Northern Dancer

Virginia - an interesting state. I like the term Commonwealth. I choked when I read the salaries for teachers. Each time @2sweed mentions a state I look it up to learn more about the people and the communities. They have lots of parks and I know people who have travelled down and participated in events. If I just get past the snowdrifts in my way and get down just a bit further I could breathe a bit easier.

Kentucky (let us be grateful to God) is another interesting state. A million acres of park land - fabulous. What? There is a state of emergency?

A Grand, Gloomy and Peculiar Place - Mammoth Cave National Park preserves the cave system and a part of the Green River valley and hilly country of south central Kentucky. This is the world's longest known cave system, with more than 400 miles explored. Early guide Stephen Bishop called the cave a "grand, gloomy and peculiar place," but its vast chambers and complex labyrinths have earned its name - Mammoth.

10. 2sweed

Oh no, I just got a weather report for the Mammoth Cave National Park. It seems that there is snow there too: Mammoth Cave National Park is closed to the public Tuesday, February 17, and Wednesday, February 18, due to heavy snow and slick roads. Park staff will evaluate conditions before deciding whether to open for services on Thursday. Snow hit my area last night and now I am holed up in a motel room waiting for the big thaw. Was -17 last night and an even colder wind chill factor. I should have brought more winter gear. :arghh::grumpy::eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJS0cRJt-1eeQuVUwJoT7TUqdMDIrbPJMGK3Lnu_hP9obmZ_Mnsw.jpg

11. Northern Dancer

I can appreciate what's going on in your neck of the woods...our region is being whammed by another storm and the temperatures continue to be extremely cold. I had to be on the highway this evening and accept for a few vehicles, the road was inundated with snow plows with their red and blue lights flashing. When I got to my destination and entered the building people actually clapped for me.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqXw1cRO21DFPTjj0byS7ish3_8_wz4kgt7PMScu2XRcNo2VTI.jpg

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh man, tell me that is not your tent? There is a tent under all that snow right?

I am sure you guys would, I have seen a lot of the recipes posted in the food section. Delicious!! :D

I did something like a long while ago, I remember being surprised how rough the texture of it's tongue was.

13. 2sweed

Well I have been sitting in this motel room waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before hitting the trail again. Been talking with the locals and several other hikers, and they told me more stuff about the trail and about this neat organization that has a book about the trail and help to maintain it. Here is the website and watch the video it is interesting and funny. http://www.aldha.org/companion.html This is the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association. :cool::cool:
    Anyways got a bit of a break in the weather and decided to get out on trail again. By the way @happyflowerlady , amazon does deliver in a hurry to just about anywhere. I got more equipment and a heavy winter coat. :happy:
    upload_2015-2-21_16-18-41.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1xz1hcSC4wqGYQet7q0gnIpVsUo25l1suiukIa0eo8OlKUvv9xw.jpg

14. 2sweed

I headed down the trail hoping weather conditions would improve, but alas, it has turned colder and more snow is on the way. So since I was in Virginia, I decided to stop along the way near McAfee Knob. I have seen pictures of it and am hoping to get a close up view of the rocky ledge and beautiful scenic view. This is near the town of Roanoke, where I am now again holed up in a motel room.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwpIWYC59OfIea3_tSMoqhVrbXgQ_MrmKNIv4FEfnsnjDpPZsfQ.jpg
    I have met several hikers on the trail that are out on the hunt for hidden geocaches which are found at different spots along the trail and are a great find if your excited about this sport. Using your GPS unit you can track these caches down and see what if any treasures they contain. Usually they are a water proof container with a log book and other trinkets. With the use of online clues and your GPS, you can find these caches in the most unique and interesting places. Here is an very informative link telling all about this sport. http://clear.uconn.edu/geospatial/GPS/PDFs/A Beginners Guide to Geocaching.pdf

Anyways like I said I am stuck in another dingy motel room waiting for warmer weather. I miss using my tent. I wonder where my fellow babbler's are at? I was sure they would be itching to get on the trail and find me. come on you all lets get together on this unknown destination trip. :watching::rolleyes::thumbsup:

15. Northern Dancer

...I think that we are buried under copious amounts of snow up to our kazoo right now. Even the sled seems not to want to plow through the drifts to get us to the next location. The hard wood in the tent stove keeps the space nice and warm for about 3 1/2 hours before the draft begins to take over. Never thought that a thin tent wall membrane could be such a force to hold back the cold. I'm sure glad that it can - I don't know what would happen without it.

I think about those early pioneers who fought the elements without all our sophisticated paraphernalia. They accomplished remarkable feats of endurance with what they had. I know that if I really had to I could escape to a safer environment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjVrD5bS39us69l9RY6iYxaK79JaPPGq8hX1Xk147K4WG-dJIT.jpg Snow in WaWA Ontario - and lots of it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  16. 2sweed

Good thing I am not going to Georgia, just got the weather report and trail updates. It does not look very good folks and no let up of cold weather is in site.
    ICE STORM DAMAGE IN GEORGIA; COLD, SNOWY, OR ICY CONDITIONS TRAILWIDE
    Portions of the A.T. and approach trail in Georgia and other locations along the Appalachian Trail may be hazardous or impassable due to blowdowns from recent winter storms and may be snow or ice-covered. While heavy snowfall is not unexpected in New England, hikers may be unaware that some areas in the highest elevations of the South may already have a foot or more of snow, with more snow in the forecast. Access roads may also be blocked, closed, or hazardous due to fallen trees, ice, or snow.
    So as I sit in my motel room planning my next move I hear that @Dancer, is headed in my direction with a much better way to heat his tent then my old wood burning camping stove. His toasty warm memo leaves a lot to be desired when I was huddled around a campfire or stuck in my sleeping bag, after the fire went out in my wood burner. :(:depressed:
    But I am warm for now and busy figuring out my next move.

17. campforums

I wouldn't call that room dingy, I really like the rustic look. Seems like it would be very cozy especially after a day out hiking in the snow.

Anyways, did you have a destination in mind when you set out? I can't imagine that progress is very quick when you have to trek through all the snow.

18. 2sweed

Actually, it was a attempt at humor, as I was looking for a picture of a five-star hotel and then lost my train of thought. In truth the room suits me well as I too love the rustic log cabin look. I am snowed in here waiting for a break in the weather, but also enjoying the friendly folks here and the good food. But i long to get on the trail again in search of that perfect destination where we might all get together. Maybe Canada is the spot to meet. But as you see by my map I must explore the south and out west first in hopes of finding a destination you all might like.
    And think of all those states and all those interesting camping spots to explore. Between @Dancer, who looks up the state history and facts, and @happyflowerlady,
    who is checking out the lay of the land, and both who are also lost and snowbound, gosh, this may take a very long time. But I hope this imaginary trip becomes a camping experience for everyone here.
    Join in and pretend your on the trail and camping. add some humor from a camping experience gone bad or make something funny up. Tell us about the area your traveling through and maybe if your lucky we will all meet up on the trail. :wacky::jawdrop::rolleyes::playful:

19. campforums

Oh haha, well at least you have internet wherever you are holed up. That should help you pass some time.

20. 2sweed

Thanks to my long delay I was able to find a much better tent and stove, and a nice sled to haul my new gear. So I am off again tomorrow when the temps are suppose to rise and the sun will be shining. I am starting to worry about crossing raging rivers and creeks, when the snow starts to melt. :eek::arghh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBxKWRRPHTRs-tM8QcfULdQLB990_a_5vznn2FUdp7h0GTU-dk.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9xKXHGXtDJzOA27QzGzlzpdISKdZGZUlP4lTGuYsMo_KluB8m1g.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted