1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The imaginary Meeting Place of Babbling Campers

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by 2sweed, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I ain't movin. I'm gonna stoke the fire, lay on my bunk, and look out the winda of my Alaknak. There is a gorgeous moon brightening up the terrain like a searchlight. I have enough hard wood to keep me warm through the night and enough snacks to satisfy my appetite. I just want to pretend that the heat I'm enjoying is from a hot sun on a summer day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMfIWrKGbtlbo8qEamOsDWJWBIlLgRAlkB2r__7tjw8HqYkSsNGA.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Well I made it as far as a place near Wytheville, Virginia. Went for a ride up to the top of a mountain to see a place called, Big Walker Lookout. They have a really tall tower where you can see far out into the distance from every direction, however, I did not climb it because the snow was deep and the steps were icy. Here is a video showing what it looks like in the summer time.

3. 2sweed

Now just as @campforums, said I have the beauty of the internet when the weather turns so nasty I am forced indoors in some motel along the trail. And while I was sitting here thinking about getting out on the trail I found this really nice video about the Appalachian trail to share with you all. I sure hope the weather improves soon so the trail conditions improve. In the meantime I guess I will be talking to local folk and eating a good meal or two and watching for a chance to slip off into the woods again. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. 2sweed

This trip has turned out to be the lonely and cold, and I miss my babbling friends. I can not imagine what is keeping them from joining in on this hike. I plan to continue on and check out a few more interesting natural sites on my way south and hope that those babbling campers catch up soon. The fun we could have been having sharing stories around a roaring camp fires.

upload_2015-3-13_21-55-19.jpeg

5. Northern Dancer

I just finished my Christmas gift book - Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods. He is a reluctant adventurer who hikes the 2,000 mile Appalachian Trail. I'll stick it in my pack and share it with you when we meet up.

The weather has improved considerably - it gives me the encouragement to move on out.

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

The weather is better here again, too; so I am going to hit the trail towards Nashville and maybe we will meet up closer to there. The trails are better and i was dreaming i was an old-time cowboy as I strolled along singing.

Once I thought I saw Northern Dancer; but it was the WRONG BEAR ! !
    image.jpg

7. Northern Dancer

:)

I dunno...I thought you more as a Dale Evans....happy trails to you....

happyflowerlady likes this.
  8. 2sweed

Copied from the website of: www.appalachiantrail.org

South of Shenandoah, the A.T. parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway. The farther south it goes, the more difficult the hiking becomes; the treadway is well-graded, but includes a number of 2,000- and 3,000-foot climbs. Mature timber, high summits, and spectacular wilderness can be found in the George Washington National Forest, north of Roanoke. The Trail then leaves the parkway and travels west across the Great Valley of the Appalachians through the Jefferson National Forest to the Allegheny Plateau, a splendid wilderness trip.

Central Virginia features many noteworthy points, with views from unusual rock formations and outcroppings and some of the northernmost balds on the Trails. Noteworthy peaks include Humpback Rocks, Three Ridges, the Priest, McAfee Knob, and Dragon's Tooth. This section is more rugged and remote than the Shenandoah, but easier and more accessible than the Trail in Southwest Virginia.

The Central Virginia section covers 226 miles from the southern end of Shenandoah National Park south to Pearisburg.

Because the A.T. spans a great variety of terrain, ranging from relatively flat and easy, to extremely difficult, the following scale was created as a general guide:

1 = Flat and smooth
    2 = Flat terrain but uneven treadway, or slight elevation change
    3 = Moderate elevation change, but well graded trail, or flat trail with very rough treadway
    4 = Strenuous climbs, but of moderate duration, or short but steep climbs
    5 = Lengthy graded climbs, alternating with easier sections
    6 = Extended climbs that may last hours or shorter climbs with difficult footing
    7 = Includes rock scrambling that is relatively easy and of short duration
    8 = Includes rock scrambling that is somewhat challenging
    9 = Rock scrambling that is difficult and extended
    10 = Use of hands required for extended periods of climbing, footing precarious, and leaping may be required — not recommended for those with fear of heights and not in good physical condition. Shorter hikers may be at a disadvantage

9. 2sweed

Picture yourself standing on top of the Humpbacked Rocks in Virginia. Now that the snow is melting you can see for miles from up here. Not looking forward to climbing down. Yikes!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRwfg2r0jK1DUtWMgrY_Hi1C0DZbzczU9f-xdvA4xlYXvdgfJn.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxOv09Y1tUEU2v21gFHsAgcrVtv6chGu4ij6ghQXLKdGd6P6VD.jpg

10. Northern Dancer

upload_2015-3-14_21-44-54.jpeg upload_2015-3-14_21-45-8.jpeg

I'm lookin right back at ya from a long distance away right here from the Algonquin Lookout Trail

2sweed likes this.
  11. 2sweed

Now passing through the Shenandoah National Park. Lots of rock outcroppings and steep trails, but beautiful country to see and visit as winter is opening up the door to spring in these mountains. http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUROiVImlXoNgzkKp5zcLrZNc5852z3eaqbwsm6MA2GVal7mrt.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtlzZ3juJ-bhiIeaU-8p8thGlXQFD7HFUFoAOe_bUxVip7kwAa.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgb29IxibAtxtoswv9zgywI5sdiQkvNid3vQ2ZsdI8pxqsWQH0.jpg

12. 2sweed

Since the weather was bad I kind of made a few side trips through Virginia and West Virginia, to visit parks and natural historical sites, but now I am on the Kentucky border and plan to visit two areas that are quite well known and visited by campers year round. The one area is the famous Cumberland Gap National Park, where Daniel Boone came through in 1775, as it was the most important passage through the hills, the Cumberland Gap, at 1663 ft. This 760 ft deep cut through the range that was used as a traffic route in Indian times and was discovered by pioneers moving west in the mid-18th century. There is also the Daniel Boone National Forest,
    southeast of Lexington, is the Natural Bridge measuring 65 ft high and 75 ft wide, created by the erosive forces of wind and water. In the surrounding area, now a state park, are other bizarre rock formations. A few miles north the Red River surges through a wild and romantic gorge. The forest has over 707,000 acres of mainly rugged terrain with over 3,400 miles of sandstone cliffs.
    There is also the Cumberland Falls State Resort Park, known as the "Niagara of the South". The 125-foot wide falls drops 68 feet into the Cumberland River and under a full moon, shows the only "moonbow" in the western hemisphere.
    I know that @happyflowerlady, was planning to meet me at that Mammoth Caves location, but since I have had no other messages from her I think I will explore these areas of Kentucky first then circle back to see her. The weather is improving and my camping journey has become a fun adventure.

kentucky-national-parks.jpg

13. 2sweed

I love maps they make hiking and camping more enjoyable when traveling through different states and trying to get to know the lay of the land. This map shows the Cumberland Gap Falls area and also Eagle Falls. Below is picture of the real thing.
    Not as big as Niagara Falls, but impressive.

CUFA_DetailedMap_CoverPanels_RGB.jpg

upload_2015-3-22_21-18-32.jpeg

14. Northern Dancer

upload_2015-3-23_10-21-48.jpeg Ancaster Falls - on a walking trail not far from where I live.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1aOonUSURyGdcjqV1QhKEOP4yEn37wJN6Zj1cSl2_XJrRWhHQ.jpg And you cannot canoe camp without one.

2sweed likes this.
  15. 2sweed

I love water falls and the music they make. Kind of soothing melodies. Take a ride down the Cumberland River, in KY with me. What a sweet ride.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  16. 2sweed

Now I will give you all a grand tour of the Cumberland State Park area and the falls. This video shows massive rocks and a rain swollen river, plus the park buildings. It is very beautiful here and I am finding so much interesting information. Do you know what Moon Bows are? Well let me show and tell you about this beautiful event.
    A moonbow (also known as a lunar rainbow or white rainbow), is a rainbow produced by light reflected off the surface of the moon (as opposed to direct sunlight) refracting off of moisture laden clouds in the atmosphere. :cool:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUEhQJDp0K7eCmJERADeQWpEQXoILh270dMZJkrHc5-HZEDnCB.jpg

17. 2sweed

I have discovered that in some state parks, winter camping is free. As long as you go by the rules and clean up after yourself you can enjoy the great outdoors without paying the regular fees, until the season kicks in. So I am camping on a small hillside ridge close to the Mammoth Cave area, but far enough away that I have lots of privacy. By the way it seems Kentucky is loaded with parks and each has something unique to offer. Had a chance to visit the Natural Bridge State Resort Park, featuring a nature made rock formation bridge.
    This is a really neat experience and I am including some pictures and a real flyover that shows the bridge from all sides including other rocky cliffs in the area. Hope your enjoying my imaginary hiking journey as much as I am. I sure wish those other babbling campers would catch up with me on this trail. I keep glancing back over my shoulder hoping they are behind me, but realizing I don't even know what most of them look like and they don't know me as well. But if @Dancer, catches up at least Reese :bear: would know I was the one who feed him breakfast one morning a long ways back. :rolleyes::cool::happy:

upload_2015-3-25_21-38-9.jpeg

18. Northern Dancer

______________________________________________________________________ :)

I like your descriptive narratives - they paint a picture.

19. 2sweed

My last post brought to mind a problem I had not considered before and yet after pondering this problem all night long in my nice warm tent I have hit upon a prefect plan. From now on I will tell the park rangers of my plan to meet up with other babbling campers from our group, so that they will be alert should anyone in passing ask about me. That way someone will know where I am camped and how to find me. I will tell them my user name and leave a sign or two on the main trails that only another babbling camper will recognize. that way even if you don't know what I look like, it will not stop us from meeting. Wouldn't it be funny if we were all mingling about in the same area, passing one another without the slightest clue. :rolleyes::wacky::playful::watching:

20. Northern Dancer

...in some parks message boards are respected and used frequently to deliver messages to people coming behind.

upload_2015-3-27_20-56-6.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDgSC8Xf63Ih33bjdrevdYuj6sKxhaoIIv6J1CIQA10fCwEbRg5w.jpg

I'll be looking for messages and clues as to where you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted