1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Longest (Day) Walk

Discussion in 'Trails' started by pinsmatt, Jun 4, 2013.

1. pinsmatt

pinsmatt Newbie

In Northern California, along the Mendocino Coast and nestled against the historic village of Mendocino, is Big River. At one time, it was the main artery for logging and logs were sent down the river in massive freshets. Then a railroad was built along the course and, finally, the railroad was turned into a dirt road used by logging trucks. Today, this road is the Big River Haul Road, included in the Mendocino Headlands State Park Big River Annex, and it is closed to vehicle traffic. It wanders back along the Big River watershed for more than sixteen miles and walkers, bicyclists, and equestrians share the phenomenal scenery of mixed coniferous forests, riparian environment, and the remains of trip dams and bridges. The best time to go is during the summer or early fall when the weather is warm and road has dried out. Bring plenty of water and excellent walking shoes that can handle the occassional shallow from year-round run-off from the hills. There are no camping facilities along the trail, but if you start early in the morning, you will have the opportunity for one of the longest day walks.

As a fan of easy to moderate day hikes, I am interested in finding other locations that are (seemingly) endless. Or, to put it a different way, if you have a favorite adult, where would you go for a day hike date?

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

That does sound beautiful! I'm more of a "sit n fish" camper myself!

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Just because there are no camping facilities doesn't mean you can't camp out there ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted