1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Reason For The Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bibsoutdoors, May 27, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well, I have to disagree, not totally but, Memorial day has been a day to remember the people that have passed before you. Not realy the military soldiers but all people. I don't remember this being a military holiday till 20 or so years ago. There used to be a traditional thing people in this area used to do on Memorial day. They used to go and have a picnic at the grave sites in honor of their family members who have passed. At least this is something I grew up with here. Not arguing or anything, just what used to be in these parts. Seems most people have stoped doing this. I am curious because it is what I have grown up with and maybe I am out of touch with rest of world, or maybe it's just the traditional thing here.

In memory of all who have gone before before us. In some ways everyone has contributed something in some way.

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Now that's interesting. I've been raised with the notion that its always been about the military and those who have passed during conflict/war and those who have passed after serving. Are these regional experiences and beliefs? The idea that everyone has contributed something is a very attractive notion and to celebrate that gives me hope for myself. Yeah, I'm not going to argue this either, just the idea of remembering those who have contributed and gone before us is more important to me than say, a reason to go out and get drunk or anything but the intended idea of the holiday. We have gotten so good at turning holidays into everything but the true intention of the day.

DBX likes this.
  4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

But...... it is a good time to burn some meat over an open fire and pop the top on your favorite beverage!

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Giggle...when have we ever needed an excuse to do this!? Baahhaaaaaaaa

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

DBX likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted