1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The traditional basic camping food for boy scouts

Discussion in 'Food' started by Alexandoy, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

In my scouting days, the list of food that we could bring for camping is issued by the scout master. We were told that the kinds of food to being depends on the campsite because there are campsites with food source especially a forest with wild fruits and vegetables or maybe near a farm. There are campsites with no water source but a good place for hunting. The usual food that we bring aside from rice which is our staple are usually canned sardines and pork and beans. There was a time that I had eaten beans and rice for lunch and the same for dinner. At least I didn't go hungry. But now I don't think those kind of food will appeal to the modern boy scouts or even adults because times have changed a lot even in camping traditions.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...you are right Alexandoy - things have changed considerably. "Food Stuffs" for the outdoor enthusiast is a multi-million dollar industry in North America. Somehow pork and beans, sardines and the like wouldn't go over today. The items are now thought of as poor people's food. When I was away these last fourteen days I had beans alright - but a lot of good ol' Canadian back bacon mixed in. The pioneer basics were flour, sugar, coffee, salt, and lard.

Try this complete dinner on the trail - you don't even have to build a fire to get a hot meal.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXkk3jw9NY5UIu4g7OPRwsSAhOwZhzwZwcsmbQifLEJ33_4EOk.jpg

It has everything including pepper, salt, napkin, and utensils. Made for the military.

mre_contents.jpg

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Those are interesting. I've never tried one because they are a little costly. But I've never had to carry light like that. Cookies are light and pack easy yum.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

@Northern Dancer, thanks for the info about that complete meal ang I will try to look for it in the supermarket or ask from the athletic store where I can get it. But I wonder why you said there is no need to build a fire. Will it be heated by itself? It reminds me of the soda can that gets instantly cold when you lift open the lid. There's no need for a cooler.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Normally, you can't find these specialty items at your local food chain. The best place to find them would be in an outdoor store. There are several other companies who manufacturer similar products.

To heat the product you place the main meal in the one side of the sleeve and a small amount of water on the other side. The chemical reaction makes it really hot. Note, there is no environmental issue with the chemical used.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNxqRWt9gcKV2CxLO_W9PeSxjBn_ZvDGlC1okbDbaYFHmtJlrCFw.jpg

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That's cool! No need to pack a stove or fuel.

Draft saved Draft deleted