1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The traditional kerosene lamp

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Alexandoy, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Is there anyone here who is familiar with the kerosene lamp? I think the brand was either Petromax or Coleman. The lamp has a pump and the air makes the light bright white. That was the best lamp for camping in those day which was commonly used for scouting jamboree. I had also experienced having that kind of lamp in one camping trip in the mountain range near Manila. Fortunately for the young campers, the portable lamp now are the emergency light that is rechargeable.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I've got two of these that I don't use anymore. These use Coleman fuel, or white gas. The small red one is like the one that I grew up with camping with my parents back in the late 60's and early 70's. The red one only had a single mantel, and it didn't blind us like the other big ones. They had their difficulties for traveling with because the mantel and globe were fragile and could break. The only other oil lamps I know of are the flat wick and ones like the Aladdin lamps that are made for home use. The lamp on the table is an Aladdin lamp. It uses kerosene, and I wouldn't take it camping. salvaged-Coleman-lanterns-c.jpeg 20180629_072726.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted