1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The Use Of A Latrine When Camping In The Woods

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by 2sweed, Jan 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Let's face it everyone goes and when out camping in remote sections of the forest it is necessary to provide a safe way to build and hide waste, instead of leaving a mess for someone else to come across. Most campgrounds have a means of disposal such as outhouses or better yet flush-able means. But off in the back country it is important to build a good latrine to handle the job.

It is important to consider its placement by paying attention to wind direction and your tent location, where your water source is located and a place that provides privacy. Building the latrine involves digging a hole or trench in the ground. For a family of 4 adults for a week, the hole should be about the size of a 10 gallon pail. Put the removed dirt in a pile, off to the side to be used to cover the latrine when you leave. For every 2 additional adults the hole should be about 5 gallons bigger. After the hole gets to about 2 feet in diameter it is suggested to start digging deeper to increase the size of the hole. Strong branches are used to build a seat or platform over the hole for safety and support in use.

upload_2015-1-19_20-52-41.jpeg

Have you ever had the need to build a latrine or do you only use campgrounds that supply a place to go?

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

That picture is a bit of a flashback for me. If I'm not mistaken, it comes right out of the Boy Scout handbook. I was never a Scout (authority issues), but I'd read it from cover to cover dozens of times when I was younger.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Well...if we must. We bring a toilet seat chair and often have some form of cover it we are going to be resident for a few days. [This is for areas outside Provincial Parks and the like.] We set it sufficiently far enough away from the campsite to provide privacy yet close enough for people to hear you scream should you encounter a porcupine, or whatever.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShF3xLFfsASK326R6cVYNAzGLqiQhDKtrTJNjYiMJjJN_sPgMP9w.jpg This is the one that we use.

4. Northern Dancer

Funny you should say that @MacGyver. I was a cub for a total of three weeks when the Akala said to me, "I never want to see you again...ever." Kinda broke my widdow art. That was the end of my career with Scouts Canada until later when I was appointed the Scout Leader to our Parish Troop. As an adult I've been a Leader and a qualified National Trainer.

MacGyver likes this.
  5. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Here's my setup:

16320993801_d788c4e062_n.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What about thunderboxes @shmuel.mule?

Personally that looks like way too much effort to me, I use the same method @MacGyver does. One time use and everyone does their own.

7. Northern Dancer

...thunder box - a term used by the Aussies I believe. All over provincial and state parks.

So...@schmuel.mule what about it?

campforums likes this.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

961-e3c8462704c23eb28d4a32e59c9a4b59.jpg

I wish we made one of these for the relieve ourselves. That's pretty cool actually. It beats having to squat bare ass in the wild. Maybe one day I can take my kids camping and show them this little contraption.

9. campforums

I didn't know it was a term used by the Aussies, that probably explains why I don't hear it used often. (except on camping babble, haha)

10. campforums

Just make sure it is stable and secure, you wouldn't want someone to be sitting on that when it SNAPS and then fall ass down into the mud.

11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

The thunder from down under!!!! Now I know where they got the saying from!

campforums likes this.
  12. Northern Dancer

ha ha ha ............................

Draft saved Draft deleted