1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Then there's chicken chip soup...

Discussion in 'Food' started by Northern Dancer, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:shame: These recipes are designed for canoe tripping and are intended to be simple, easy,fast preparation time, yet delicious and nutritious.

1 can of cream of chicken soup [more ingredients as needed depending on the size of group]
    1 can of 10% milk or better [if cholesterol isn't and issue]
    Mix well

qox40j.jpg

While the soup is simmering -

1 can of chicken chunks [more if you like a lot of chicken]
    Saute in butter, a pinch of salt and pepper
    Seasoning - I use a No Salt Added seasoning herb medley - it tastes great
    Soak and cook chicken well

Toss chicken and residue of saute mix into simmering soup and mix well
    Serve with a handful of rippled potato chips on top

They always ask for second helpings....:)

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Canned soup hardly counts as a recipe ;)

Although I am like you and like to add my own personal touch to premade foods.

3. Northern Dancer

You are always astute. :( I should probably use the word formula or method. Anyway...it still tastes good and it is easy to pack and prepare. :happy:

4. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I would say it's still a recipe considering the canned soup is only one of the ingredients. You enhanced it with chicken and seasonings, with the chicken soup only being the base. And then by adding chips to the top, that's a bit of a twist. It'd be 'normal' to add crackers to the side and eat them alongside, but I don't think chips is that common (at least not where I'm from).

5. Northern Dancer

Thanks for that!

I really don't consider my suggestions to be recipes - these are just fast food ideas for the canoe people. We are always looking for quick and easy ideas. Frequently as a base I use a variety of dry soups to conserve space. Bear Creek Country Kitchens, Frontier soups and Knorr are some of the brands that I use. Sometimes I use my Junior Can Cooker and throw in anything I want to come up with a mighty scrumptious dinner in record breaking time.

Nice to see you on line. :) ND

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Don't worry about it - it's a recipe as a recipe is a listing of ingredients and the steps used to make them into a dish. And it's not like people don't do it all the time - for instance, Semi-homemade. That said thanks for the idea (although I pack light so I would have to use a dried soup verse a can).

7. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

now I see who northern dancer is sponsored by

8. Northern Dancer

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Well Northern Dancer had to get 1200 dollars from somewhere for that lovely tent they're using. Why not have Campbell soup pay for - goodness knows they fleece enough people to make good on it.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

What if you use Spaghettios in the recipe if that is still around LOL. Maybe you can use some chicken breast pieces in the soup and add the Campbells soup broth. Is there a way to have some crab meat in there?

11. Northern Dancer

You can do anything you want - it's great to try new stuff - that is what recipes are all about. You might even want to share them with the community after you tested them yourself. I remember when I was a university student - it was amazing what we came up with on our meagre budget. We got a taste of humility too.:(

12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well you try what you can and some people don't see the things you do. I think I would love to try your soup recipe but I don't know if I want to just have the chips. I never tried things like this since I don't really cook.

13. Northern Dancer

Aw...you are not a cook? Well...it could be a new and enjoyable experience. Remember though, the things that I am sharing on line are camp related. I suppose we could eat just about anything when out in the wilds. Our appetite changes drastically when at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted