1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Throw net

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JoshPosh, Oct 30, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

One of the main methods in catching fish in Hawaii is to use a throw net. You patrol the shallow area of the beaches looking for fish with a special polarized glasses. There is a special way of throwing them out, so don't think for a minute that you can do it on your own without instructions.

UncleMorganFishing.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg hqdefault.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Have you ever tried a pair of those glasses? This is the first I have heard of them and to be honest now that I think about it, fishing seems to be an area where technology has not really changed it much. I mean we do have electronic sonar fish finders that some people have mounted on their boats and modern fishing rods are a bit fancier than ones from 100 years ago but other than that, not much has changed. If you go to your local pier you will still see people doing the same kind of fishing people have done for generations. And unlike hunting, firearms don't help in the water that much.

3. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

The RayBan glasses I use are polarized, they actually help me see through water. these special ones should be even better.

trying throwing in a C4?

4. campforums

@BMWPOWER I was thinking that they would be polarized in such a way that the fish would really stand out in the water, because normally they really blend in and can be hard to spot but I'm not sure

5. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

these special glasses are most likely passive, unless it uses some kind of active system, I doubt it can make fish standout.

"Light reflected from surfaces such as a flat road or smooth water generally is horizontally polarized. This means that, instead of light being scattered in all directions in more usual ways, reflected light generally travels in a more horizontally oriented direction. This creates an annoying and sometimes dangerous intensity of light that we experience as glare. Polarized lenses contain a special filter that blocks this type of intense reflected light, reducing glare."

6. campforums

Where did you quote that from?

Perhaps it was a bit overly optimistic of me... But the fish aren't flat surfaces being reflected... They are under the surface of the water.

Draft saved Draft deleted