1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Thwart Bag

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Jul 8, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I started with a simple plan, and looked at a couple of thwart bags on line. I had a couple yards of canvas that I purchased last year, so to work I went. Drew my plans out and started cutting fabric. 514cfd2dea4a650306a17e10d65e10e8.jpg dug out the old singer sewing machine . 713f6cd42281a181a8ee7bc326d35aa8.jpg Yes the zipper was to long oh well side cutters took care of that problem. As I started to sew the zipper opening the thread kept twisting and knotting up at the needle? Double checked everything then resorted to looking on Internet for answers. One thing that was mentioned was lubrication. Hmm surely not? Put a couple of drops of machine oil on bobbin shuttle, and it was sewing like a singer sewing machine.... 75d3eab255cbc36c07316e07bbb60499.jpg Zipper, straps, and loin piece that hangs over the zipper front sewn on. 8fc79b3e4d24858cac11abaabf0117fb.jpg Now how do I sew the sides and bottom on? Took a couple of hours but works very well. ce9cb1c5a1098286063f684bdd8d9120.jpg f0abf0dd71d8553b84eb80cbc0ea232a.jpg Very happy with results. I need to put a nice patch on front. Maybe an embroidered Beaver, my totem.

Well my back is tired from hunching over the sewing machine all afternoon. Hmm canoe down, maybe take it out tomorrow?

Northern Dancer likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...@killeroy154 - it looks a lot better than mine. So...I'll tell you what's in my bag if you tell me what's in your bag. :)

Well done - that's a skill I should have because I can think of a lot of projects I could immerse myself in.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thank you. Other than being tight with money, I like to make things sort of gives me that warm squishy feeling ha. Besides I have boring job, and often have time to draw and think of ideas. Takes my mind off the repetitive doldrums of maintaining a production machine.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

4ca6f03e66d2877e8d9dffb4996b114c.jpg The patches have completed my canoe thwart bag. Looks larger on my little Mohawk Solo canoe.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

...really like this @killeroy, done really well. Noted that Camping Babble patch too. I'm not as sophisticated as you and I'm down right cheap (sometimes). I got mine from the surplus store for a buck. :)

I'll be taking down my canoe Monday to get it ready for the August trips and I'll take a picture of my thwart bag. So...what does your kit contain?

My kit contains the following - [X Indicates regulated]

X Bailer
    X Throw Bag
    X Canoe Painters (two - 25 feet in length)
    Soak up sponge
    Large Bungee Cords (equipment strap down)
    Red Help Flag
    Tent Seam Sealer (I never know where to put this so I put it here.)
    Duck Tape (I don't leave home without it)
    Boot laces (A great help many a time.)

-----> ON ANOTHER NOTE

The new edition of Gearjunkie has a review on hammock tent. This is a free email direct magazine that has a lot of articles on the latest equipment. They have already posted what's new for 2018.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I had this sort of fishing stuff in it last time I used it. Of course it was just a half day fishing trip. I better quit babbling, got to get to work on this ash log that I'm going to flatten and make table out of. 42e4de47cd502cf47a7095949bdaaf40.jpg

7. Northern Dancer

My thwart bag - not nearly as creative as yours...but it will do.

IMG_1224.jpg

killeroy154 likes this.
  8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Nothing wrong with that. Ya know those seats look really comfortable in you canoe. I like how they're curved. I noticed the paw print on the inside front part. I would guess that boxed in area is for floatation? Is it foam filled or a sealed air pocket?

9. Northern Dancer

----> The seats are comfortable because they are webbed and seem to fit better than some of the other ones on the market. The flotation devise is a sealed air pocket. The canoe material is an ultralight Kevlar and weighs 41 pounds.
    This is a tripping canoe and designed to take on extra weight. It has no keel and can be a bit tricky in high winds. The Prospector 16 by Souris River Canoes is a design made famous from the wood-canvas era of Bill Mason. [A famous Canadian canoeist.] The modification incorporates the very best of the original Prospectors. The rocker makes for improved manoeuvrability in river and creek travel. It retains its open water credentials with little compromise.

Draft saved Draft deleted