1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

TICK TIME

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Ticks: How To Prevent, Spot, And Remove
    It’s tick season. Learn more about how to prevent, remove, and identify the risks behind these blood-sucking arachnids.

7663_lores-700x463.jpg

"The other day I felt a bump through my jeans. Thinking it might be a rogue pimple, I went to the bathroom and dropped my trousers to inspect the bump. My wife heard my high-pitched scream from across the house and came racing to the room. My eyes were glued to the small brown tick, sucking at my hamstring."

By Steve Graepel
    Contributing Editor (and Gear Junkie Idaho Bureau Chief) Steve Graepel is allegedly a crook and a thief, conning his friends to steal away time from their families in pursuit of premeditated leisure, which typically involves a bike, a pack-raft, skis, running shoes, climbing rack, or all of the above.
    blacklegged-tick.jpg

READ MORE ON THE LATEST EDITION OF GEAR JUNKIE
    A free monthly email magazine that is well written.

9873_lores-700x471.jpg

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I do not like ticks crawling on me. I have plucked several off myself when I was younger. It was almost automatic that I would run my fingers through my hair, and all over myself after being outside. I still check myself when I camp in warmer weather. I never had a problem finding them on my skin or scalp. They do give me the creeps, but I get over it.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I am very particular with skin problems when in a camping venue. Especially with insects, I'm always on the lookout. The usual insect that pesters me are mosquitoes and flies although sometimes ants also torment me. I would dread the day that ticks would be sucking my blood. I always bring vinegar aside from insect repellent so I would be protected from insect bites. Vinegar is a good repellent for insects. Just some drops will drive them away.

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Vinegar as an insect repellent, I've never heard that one before. What a cheap and bountiful option. I'm going to have to try this, mosquitoes will be my first target. I hope it works, sounds safer than some of those chemicals used in other repellents.

Draft saved Draft deleted