1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Time to get back to work.

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by killeroy154, May 21, 2016.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

We had a great short trip last week. Now it is time to get back to work. Canoe has been cleaned and hung in its resting place 6d9f66957896dfd83c69505f1114417f.jpg . Camping gear cleaned an air mattress covered and hung up with valves open 180e76e15046ec12426955342c0c43ff.jpg . Back to my wood working progects 0701dd18d590ae22a0d7e6a7c8160f4a.jpg .

I wait to hear about everyone else's camping trips with anticipation.

(Camp_aholic) Uncontrollable shaking when not camping.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hanging your canoe like that looks like a nice efficient use of space. I have plaster ceilings though so I don't know if it could support it...

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

As long as you screw anchors into ceiling joists, or rafters. I have my Mohawk solo canoe hanging in basement. 952ede07eb862d9905853831c154a1a4.jpg

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...you are making me envious. :) But-a-lass my turn is coming soon. Like the canoe arrangement - my canoe is lashed to the shed during the winter and taken down in the spring to get a polyurethane gloss finish to start the canoe season in earnest.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have a couple of questions about your canoe if you don't mind? Your prospector is probably Kevlar I'm guessing. I didn't know they put poly on those, and do they sand off the old poly before re-aplying the new?

6. Northern Dancer

@killeroy154 I have a kevlar extra light prospector. The manufacturer suggested the treatment to get rid the scrapes, nicks, and gouges. On occasion I will have to sand down some portions of the canoe - but not usually.

Like the signature.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@Northern Dancer I didn't know that thanks for info. If I remember correctly you said you were going to Algonquin Prov. Park. I look forward to pictures. I looked it up on Google Earth, and it's about 14.5 hour drive from where I live. Maybe one of these days I get up there to see it.

8. Northern Dancer

...I'm having trouble waiting. I get uneasy thinking that plans will crash and not work out. Things were hectic last year and this year isn't any better than last. I hold my breath and hope that I will not be given extra summer assignments like last year. Though...I got to be in Algonquin for three weeks in September.

So far...I have a three nighter solo canoe trip in Haliburton Waterway Trails System in June, three weeks in Algonquin in July, another three nighter canoe trip in Red Pine Lake in early August and then of course I'm back at Camp Wendake at the end of August. I'm hoping for more.

I missed out on a three week trip to the Yukon territory - I just wasn't able to raise the cash and the time slot conflicted with other duties. :(

BUT! [Tub spelled backwards] Overall, how many other guys can get away as much as me?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7OptWXeaLTFm6SI_LYU6ViZAm23rHGXH14Umkcmfc3rWA8kbE.jpg

This is my Prospector turned over - looking good.
    It can take 920 pounds of cargo [humans included].
    Never have had an occasion to do that.
    As you can see there is no keel so high winds can be an issue and tracking can be tricky.
    However manoeuvring is excellent and it's okay in rough waters.
    I love it!

If by some peculiar circumstance you did come to this neck of the woods - make sure you let me know and I will make every effort to join you. Your dollar goes a long way on this side of the boarder.

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow that does look fabulous! I was wondering how much weight it was rated for. I find awsome at how little those Kevlar canoes weigh.

Make use of what ever time you can get. Most automotive industry here will work their employees 6 to 7 days a week, and that is continous through holidays or what ever. I get 20 days paid vacation a year, which is excellent in these parts. Any how enough of that.

It would great to see that area, and maybe I get the opportunity in next few years. Believe me, if I get the chance to come I'll post it, I probably wouldn't shut up. Maybe things go as planned for you this year, and don't forget.... Pictures Pictures Pictures.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I was just reading an article in Canoeroots Magazine about Algonquin park. How weird. Maybe it's a sign to move to Canada where my grandfather grew up, and take up his last name of Laflamme. If you know anyone with that last name, they probably kin folk. If I moved up there, y'alls skeeters would have an obsiesity problem from my blood which is loaded with southern food of fried chicken and sweet tea. Ha. I'll leave you alone now. Pictures Pictures

Northern Dancer likes this.
  11. Northern Dancer

...depending what neck of he woods you camp in will determine the fierceness of those skeeters. Early spring can be a challenge - but come the end of June through to October things are usually okay.

IMG_0649.jpg

Waiting to be set up again. Yep...that's a solar panel to your right. I use it for indoor lighting and on occasion I will plug in a DVD...especially on a rainy day.

Draft saved Draft deleted