1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Time to go!

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by killeroy154, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes it is that time of year when I start planning a short camping trip. This month of October would have been great, but I should've scheduled some days for this month last February. Others in my department already have dibs, and now I can't take off . Sure I could probably break some knee caps or something, but I am too nice of a guy.

Anyhow I talked one of my coworkers into going next month. I promised my wife I wouldn't go out alone. I figured also that if we are attacked in the middle of the night by a hoard of ferocious bears or a pack of wild dogs I could jump in the boat and go for help while he fends them off. What are friends for? Right?

The weather and fishing may be less then desirable, but for the moment it gives us something to look forward to, and occupies our thoughts with camping and fishing equipment. It has been a long hot summer.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...ya gots my heart beating a bit. Nothing like the call of the wild to get me goin. Nothing on the screen for me until the first weekend in April. Though - there is usually a winter camp in February. If I get desperate I could put up a tent in the back yard facing the cedar trees to give the impression I'm far from home. :)

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I am open to a camping trip any time except during the rainy season. It's very inconvenient to go camping with the prospect of rains. A muddy campsite makes me feel so uncomfortable.

What I like is a sunny weathe. I love to wake up in the morning sunshine. It is invigorating particularly when I slept in a tent.

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I use to go regardless of the rain, get to my camp, set up and then change into dry cloths. I often found wearing rain covers of some kind made me sweat. May as well just gotten soaked by clean rain. Now I'm trying something new to me, Frogg Toggs, pants and jacket with Neo over your hiking boots over shoes. Like so many things of the past, Gore Tex promises to breath and keep you cool without getting rain soaked. We'll see, the jury is still out on this one. I have worn the Neo Navigators and I like them very much. They slip over my hiking boots close up, cinch up and have fairly aggressive soles, all while keeping your feet dry.

Bibsoutdoors

5. Northern Dancer

...I must admit I get a bit annoyed with rain and as a result don't always take evasive action. I know I should and even though I have the proper clothing I don't always do it. BUT - I do have a sports umbrella for base camp and use it frequently. I have a trip umbrella for pack and paddle that has saved me many a time. On one trip it just poured down and the group took shelter on an island. We all had our umbrellas up and formed what looked like a tent roof - it worked.

@Alexandoy your rainy season is comparable to our mosquito season - you can still go camping but you better be prepared.

When tripping I wear water shoes to protect my feet. When on land I change into hiking boots or camp site shoes and will cover them with large baggies to keep them dry. Yep...I'm real cheap.

I have these humongous Ziploc bags that I use to water proof inside my barrel or wrap around my sleeping bag etc.

upload_2017-3-18_12-58-32.jpeg
    ...and yes I use the Ziploc bags to cook eggs and other simple foods. :)

Madman4800 likes this.
  6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow! I didn't know they made that big of a ziplock bag.

7. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Those bags can't be real if they are I have to get some. What a great pack cover.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

8. Northern Dancer

=====> :bear: '"Hi." Baden Bear here, "I don't know why ND posted me here."
    Yes they are for real. I got mine from Cabela's. I can't remember the cost. I've had them for awhile now - because you can use them as often as you want until they wear out.

You can get a large "baggie" type zip lock from the Dollar store - they advertise them as sport bags. I use appropriate size baggies to pack meals so everything one needs for one meal is in one bag with smaller baggies containing condiments. It's marked clearly - TUESDAY SUPPER, and there is a full list including equipment needed, recipes or other cooking instructions.

I think I mentioned that I use small baggies to cook my eggs in the morning - eggs, cheese, chives - whatever. It is a clean way to go.

upload_2017-3-19_14-8-34.jpeg People can customize their own. Just put into a pot of boiling water and kneed on occasion to make sure the eggs are equally cooked.

9. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I love coking in bags mostly for the easy clean up.

10. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Wow, I forgot about this. When I was fresh out of college I was too poor to afford dehydrated meals or even MRE's. I would go out with rice and a can of Cream of Mushroom soup put water into a zip bag put the food bag into boiling water and in a few minutes I'd be eating. When done, zip up the baggy and stuff it in my backpack to take home. Good memories!

Bibsoutdoors

11. Northern Dancer

=====>
    That's a funny story @Bibsoutdoors. It reminds me of the time six of us headed out for one of those "All you can eat for one price" places. We had been there before. On this occasion the manger of the place was there to greet us. "Not today boys," was all he said. Apparently on our last visit we ate all we could and then some. :blackeye:

12. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

@ Northern Dancer, can he do that? I guess so, that's funny! Sounds like the comedian John Pinnette!

Bibsoutdoors

13. Northern Dancer

=====> :depressed:
    We were just young poor students looking for a cheap feast to do us over. He probably didn't have the right but we weren't going to argue with him. Speaking of John Pinnette - I'm guessing you have seen his skit "Goin Campin"?

14. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I've tried to watch everything he's done. He was sooo good! Hardly any swearing, clean humor and he made my head hurt from laughing so hard. The one where he goes to Italy from France to eat Italian! I laugh just thinking about it! Sono A Formato!! "They killed Timmy. He was too skinny, we should have known, he shouldn't have come." Oh he was so good. The camping humor was great also.

15. Northern Dancer

=====>
    ...it's great stuff isn't it? We have a local AM station that plays "those old radio shows" from 10:00 P.M. to 1:00 A.M. [900 CHML Hamilton.] Corny, silly, ridiculous, probably booed off the stage today, BUT! just wholesome, slap stick, hilarious and down right good funny listening. And the original commercials are entertaining too. I often listen in at the end of the day to calm myself down before sleep.

Say, there is another station you might want to check out if you like Golden Classics - 740 AM Toronto. They have "Theatre of the Mind" from 10:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. The station is referred to as Zoomer Radio - actually...I rather like what they produce.

16. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

My wife tells me we could listen to those stations on our phone (internet), I hadn't realized that so, we will have to check it out! I'm so dismayed with US high speed internet (what is it like 57mbps) TERRIBLE. I won't buy a desk top computer until we get speeds like Europe. I wonder what the speed there in Canada is like?

Bibsoutdoors

17. Northern Dancer

Good question. Stay right there and I'll check it out. I'm back. It says 60 - 100 - 250 mbps in the GTA [Greater Toronto Area] but it varies widely from province to province.

Toronto. Fastest ISP Rogers. Rogers is one of Canada's largest providers of high-speed Internet, cable television and wireless communications. After simplifying their plans, the IGNITE packages now include 60Mbps, 100Mbps and 250Mbps, with NHL Game Centre Live and Shomi streaming services thrown in.

Is this helpful?

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  18. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Yes, your slowest offers (60mbps) are faster than our fastest! Ouch! Sob sob!

Bibsoutdoors

Draft saved Draft deleted