1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

TOTALL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN --->

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

IT'S COMING

If you haven't marked your calendars yet, do it now: The first complete solar eclipse to cross North America in almost 40 years will happen on August 21. People are booking prime viewing spots now.

2017 Total Solar Eclipse
    This year’s eclipse is uncommon. The last eclipse to span both coasts was 99 years ago. Another total eclipse won’t be visible from the west coast to the east until 2045.
    That will be the last time it happens this century.

As a result, states within the path of totality are capitalizing on the potential for tourism.
    In Oregon, rural residents are renting out camping lots for $100
    a night for the eclipse. In Idaho,
    park campgrounds that usually run $10 a night on a first-come, first-served basis,
    will command $55 premium-viewing reservations.
    And Wyoming is throwing a week long party,
    imaginatively titled “Eclipse Festival,” leading up to viewing day.
    Only in America you say?

STAY TUNED
    Call for Orson Wells - doesn't anyone know where he is?

upload_2017-3-28_17-49-34.jpeg

happyflowerlady and to7update like this.
  2. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Wow, premium values to see the total eclipse, everyone is capitalizing on the event! In my lifetime I think I've seen total eclipses just twice, the first I was a kid and I was really impressed as everyone was talking about it, but then it was just the moon passing in front of the sun, and lasted for a few minutes, I have to say I was disappointed! :D

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I plan on catching the 2045 show. If not, I'll look into it next century. Where do I make reservations for next centuries show?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

It looks like it will miss Alabama completely; but maybe it will be close enough that we can at least see some of it as it goes by, assuming that we have clear skies that night.
    I live in an area with lots of really tall trees on all sides of our house, and unless the eclipse was right overhead, it would be hard for us to see from here.
    it seems like that whenever there is some kind of interesting thing happening up in the sky, we have rain here, or at least anough cloud cover that nothing is visible up there.
    When I lived in northern Idaho, I lived out in the country, and even though there were trees around, they were not that close to the house, and I had a magnificent view of the night sky from out there.
    One night I saw some kind of meteorite streaking across the sky even ! I had gotten home from work, and was out in the dark, feeding the horses, and all of a sudden, the whole sky lit up and it was almost like daylight. I looked up and saw a bright green object streaking across the sky from north to south, and then it disappeared behind the trees. A few seconds later, I heard a huge crash, and the ground shook !
    I have no idea how close it landed, and the newspaper barely mentioned it, and didn't say anything about it crash-landing at all; so I always wondered what it really was that I saw that night.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

What a fantastic experience! Not many people have experienced things like that. You were never tempted to head south to see if you locate the crash site? I think I would have put life on hold until I found it!

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

Haven't seen an eclipse in my entire life, and I find it really mesmerizing. How come some places can increase rates for such thing and do people actually bite? I mean can't people not see the eclipse in their area or wherever they are, and for free? Just wondering since I haven't seen an eclipse ever.

7. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

2045 huh? :D Yeah, it's just around the corner. I wouldn't make much plans for the next century if I were you though. :p

8. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Don't make plans for next century? ARE YOU KIDDING....ha ha.....I'll be lucky to live another 5 - 6 years...I won't even see 2045, but I'll take your advice and not plan on next century....lol

Draft saved Draft deleted