1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Traditional Shelter

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by JoshPosh, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Here's a picture of the last standing traditional shelter for ancient Hawaiians. I'm not sure when this picture was taken, but was the last of it's kind on the island. Fully documented and the family that resided here moved to updated dwellings.

Now would I live in there? Probably not. Would I use it for camping shelter? Maybe if there was no harmful insects in there.

hut.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

To be honest with you, I would just live in those dwellings. I don't need modernized housing. It probably be cheaper to build and live in.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah, they do look fairly nice from the pictures. That is probably why they are in high demand during peak season and relatively expensive to rent. That being said, I wouldn't want to live in one of those. Most of them don't have electricity, or plumbing so while things might be fun for a little bit it might get annoying once you start to smell and want a shower. Also Canadian winters are quite harsh and I don't know how long you'd last in one of those without any kind of heading or insulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted