1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tree Houses

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Hobbit, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Anyone ever tried staying in a tree house?
    Obviously it's not much of a temporary setup, but some holiday companies do offer tree house accomodation.

I love the idea of being up in the trees :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...of course. :) Our Camp (I was a program director for Camp Norval) had two built that could accommodate a cabin of eight youth. I got to sleep in it before and after the camping season as it was always booked by our leadership. Fun stuff. I haven't done it since.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTsSt6Z_UON7bXXvK3qQMsnh0iybTAXCJfXIPmJbS4DUqfQqS7UQ.jpg They looked something like this.

3. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I remember watching this show on Animal Planet called Tree House Masters where a guy named Pete Nelson goes around building big, custom tree houses for his clients. Some of his creations were truly impressive, I was especially fond of the modern, more opulent homes that were small but provided their owners with everything you could ask for in a small home. They were fully furnished with the finest little touches and although expensive, I wouldn't mind having one of my own if I lived in an area that allowed it.

I think most people are put off by the fact that they are rather hard to build given their locations and as a result you don't see too many people with tree houses, especially not in camping situations. But I do see it as a rather cool investment if you camp in the same place, you could build it up slowly with every trip you take there and eventually move from sleeping in a tent to sleeping in your very own camping tree house, which is pretty cool.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

I supposed to awkward part is establishing a camp that is ok to be set up where it is - either with permissions of the land owner or your own land.

@SashaS what was the lifetime of those camps? I'd imagine the growth of the tree could cause some issues for the more complex setups

5. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I wouldn't know as I was talking hypothetically but you're right in saying that one would need to find a camp that is going to stay there for a long time. With regards to trees growing, I would assume there are compensation systems in place like steel brackets that allow some movement or something like that.

6. Northern Dancer

...the camp was operated by the Toronto West End YMCA that began in 1929.

One of the problems with a tree house is that it all depends on the health of the tree - once the tree goes down comes the house. There was another Y camp who build an artificial tree and built the house in that.

There are now tent pods that are used - for those who might like those.

upload_2016-4-28_13-24-14.jpeg Not my way of camping.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Tent pods seem limited in the size they can get to.

I like the look of the traditional Robinson Crusoe, flat plank flooring, ropes but without the pirates.

I suppose a more permanent one would be based on stilts (like your suggestion of an artificial tree) but I would have to have it among other trees as it just doesn't feel right it it's stuck out by itself.

I'm talking like I'm going to build one :p A grown man with a child still in him wanting to build what every lad dreams :p

8. Northern Dancer

...it could be a fun project; after all Noah built an ark. :)

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

I have my doubts that Noah built an ark that carried 2 of every animal (but must have forgot to bring the dinosaurs on board).
    This reminds me, I started to watch Noah on Netflix last night, my god what a terrible film!
    Should have been about a man building a tree house to escape the flood, would've been much better

10. Northern Dancer

------------------------------------------------------------------ :) Yep!

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

If I built a tree house, it would have be occupied by uninvited guests. 11c33060b6be2b0fd2610e6ed1290a0e.jpg

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

12. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

That looks scary as hell. I would run and never stop if I saw that. How did it even get up there? I never bears could climb trees? Either way, that is probably one of the most terrifying things you could ever see while walking back to your tent after a nice stroll through the forest.

13. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Black bears are excellent climbers. She might have been keeping an eye on the Cubs or maybe looking for a scrumptious patch of berries.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

14. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

If my knowledge from films and cartoons serves me right: you never run, they'd catch up.
    So gorrilas you're suposed to roll into the fetal position and not move, what do you do with bears? Throw a pot of honey is the opposite direction? I don't think I'd be cut out for camping where there is dangerous wildlife!

SashaS likes this.
  15. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

They say for black bears you want to raise your arms high and try to look as big as you can. Grizzlies you don't want to look threatening, so if you can't just back away with out making eye contact you will probably get mauled. I say run and scream like a little girl and if you get caught curl up into fetal position and kiss yourself good bye. I am no expert though.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

16. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

How good are bears at swimming?
    Can they both climbs trees?

I'm sure I read somewhere about some animals being afraid of hissing as they think it's a snake, this could be just for cats though

17. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I realy don't know about hissing at a bear. My wife and I have done a lot of day hikes in the Smokey mtn, and only once did we see a bear. We would see some around camp areas or other places where they could get an easy meal from people.

I know I made a huge mistake once when hiking. My wife and I were going to do a short 3 mile hike up to rainbow falls, so we slept in and didn't leave the house till about 8:30 or so. We stopped at a subway just before entering the park, so it was maybe 10am they just opened. We thought it would be great to put a couple of scrumptious sandwiches in our pack for lunch at the falls. I could smell the sandwiches in my pack every time the breeze would catch it right. I bet every bear within a mile was drooling.
    45c3a7918e0b6b64102dec7b60a5a079.jpg
    We never saw a bear. The only looks we got were from other people at the falls. It wasn't a very smart thing to do.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

18. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Sorry Hobbit, I sort of got off subject.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

19. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

No worries! We've all gone on a tagient :p
    Incredible to have to think about having nice smelling food in your pack being a dangerous thing.
    I guess if one did turn up, you'd toss the bag towards the bear and just walk away.

Draft saved Draft deleted