1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Trekking Pole Help

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Faust, May 4, 2016.

1. Faust

Faust Explorer

I need trekking poles but I'm not up to date on the "latest & greatest" features of newer poles.
    Reading online reviews was a waste of time.

Which type of locking mechanism is the most reliable?
    Telescopic or folding?
    Sock-absorbing worth the additional cost & weight?

I know very little about poles, all I do know is what I want:
    • Must have Cork grip.
    • Handle must be offset (15 degrees or so)
    • If possible, low impact tips and/or basket.
    Any recommendations or sharing your experience with specific brands, features etc. would greatly be appreciated.

2. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I had been using a walking stick, so my $17 pair of trekking poles from Walmart was an upgrade.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I cut a walking staff from a dogwood tree that we had in the yard. I am not sure what killed it, but I didn't want it to go to waste. bbdc0d14a8ab7ccde1aae5d737a46310.jpg . My wife's is a crooked laurel that someone left at the beginning of a trail head one day. She says that the crook is in a perfect spot for her, and is quite comfortable. The dogwood is a little heavy, but very sturdy and solid.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

4. This won't be much help to @Faust, because my needs are different. Perhaps this will help someone else. My main thing is to have camera mount on my pole so it can be used as a monopod. I have a Tracks Sherlock staff, but when I went to buy another to use the pair as trekking poles I learned that the company had been sold and the poles are no longer manufactured.

I only found four other types that have a camera mount so I bought the cheapest pair: Mountainsmith Trekker FX. These have a foam grip with a foam covered knob at the top. Unscrew the knob to reveal the camera mount (a 1/4"-20 SAE bolt). They are made of 7075 aluminum (that's not as strong as the 7075-T6 aluminum used on more expensive poles), have a twist lock system that seems to work fine, and are spring loaded so they give 1/2 inch or so. They come with a "hiking basket" but snow baskets are available for them. They have carbide tips with a rubber boot so you can have it set up which ever way you want. They cost about $25US each (NOT per pair), since they are, technically, a hiking staff.

Like most poles these days they telescope and have a twist lock - they have never slipped for me. The Sherlock poles have a push-button system that absolutely locks the pole so there is no way it can collapse unexpectedly.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Sorry I didn't mention that my wife bought me a trekking pole a few years ago. It is the telescopic type that you can twist lock in position, and has the spring shock absorber. It is very light and packs easy. I think the shock absorber has adjustable tension, and it can also be locked. It does very well, and I have no problems with it. I don't get in a hurry when I am hiking, so I always preferred the wood staff. She got it for me one Christmas, so I realy don't know what costs.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

6. Faust

Faust Explorer

I've read poles have a camera mount, personally I would drill a hole and epoxy a brass 1/4-20 insert rather than seek a pole that already has this feature..

As for my requirements, I don't care what the grade of aluminum is or it's temper, all aluminum poles on the marker have undergone some form of anodizing (If I had to bet I would say Class 2 Type II as per MIL-SPEC 8625. (I'm a steel buyer, I know much about steels, alloys and the million types of heat treatments, coatings etc. that are applicable). I'm interested in functionality and ease of use.

I have a wood staff but I only use it when I know I'll be crossing fast moving water often, but it doesn't help with my main issue, descending. But with my province on fire and the subsequent fire ban my May trip has been cancelled so I got time to do more research and continue conditioning my back and legs.

Thanks for the input thus far gang!

Draft saved Draft deleted