1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

TWO MISSING...

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Northern Dancer, May 18, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

TWO MEN ARE MISSING on Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. Apparently the canoe capsized and Ontario Provincial Police are searching for them. I suspect there is going to be a lot more mishaps over the holiday weekend.

And what about the summer?

REMEMBER "CAMP BABBLERS" SAFETY NEVER NEVER TAKES A HOLIDAY!

2. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Oh that's very sad :( I really hope that they will be found.

Honestly this one thing is always what worries me when I'm out somewhere whether I'm with somebody or with a group of people. I especially most worried if it involves water because I'm too fast to panic and lost my mind that I wouldn't be able to think of anything but feel scared.

3. Northern Dancer

There have been several reports from across the country - it happens every year. There hasn't been an update on this situation but I have a hunch that they were not following standard safety rules.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yep, usually when this happens it turns out they had too much to drink and drowned.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I would imagine that the water is not the warmest yet either which would make surviving even harder to do. This is so sad indeed, my heart goes out to their families. One can only hope......though that the results are good, but likely not.

6. Northern Dancer

These situations occur on both sides of the 49th and other places to frequently. That is why I felt the need to say again...Safety never takes a holiday. I still see canoeists out with no life jackets, bailing cans, safety throw and the like even though authorities regularly fine those caught without the basic equipment. It doesn't make any sense to me - what's so difficult about wearing a life jacket, carrying a whistle? But people do that all the time.

7. 2sweed

It is that old saying......ah, it will never happen to me. The idea that it can only happen to someone else therefore why bother being prepared. That is the biggest mistake that most people make, ranked up there with plain laziness and disregard for the laws.

8. Northern Dancer

The laws designed to protect them...and then there is that other statement, "It happened so fast!"

9. campforums

Well if you follow correct safety procedures than I think you can say "ah, it will never happen to me". The problem is when you don't prepare and then ALSO assume it won't happen to you.

10. 2sweed

So any updates the the missing men?

11. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I'm also curious. I know there is a very less chance for a survival but I wonder if they have been found. I feel really sorry for their families.

12. Northern Dancer

I haven't heard anything. The RCMP in British Columbia have officially given up the search for three men lost out there. So sad, so tragic. I can't stress the basic canoe safety rules enough.

13. 2sweed

Life jackets alone would have given them a better chance of being rescued or at least found. Yes, sometimes the vests are bulky and hot, but they do save lives. It must be so terrible for their families without having them recovered. It is very sad. :confused: :(

14. Northern Dancer

It is terrible. A number of years ago I was called in to help search for a 14 year old lad who had capsized and drowned. He was out with his troop doing a weekender on the Grand. Apparently when he went over his whistle cord got caught on a sweeper [downed tree in the river] and he was not able to break loose.

So...a standard safety practice now is that when you wear a safety whistle it has to be detachable. If you do get caught in some manner you just pull...and it comes a apart.

The search has been called off in Algonquin. And they wait for the currents to do their job.

15. Tiara Murphy

Tiara Murphy Newbie

I definitely agree that basic safety guidelines are so important to follow. I always see people out or posting pictures online on the water without a vest even and I think, this is how accidents happen. Sometimes they are out of our control of course, yet usually, we could have done something to help ourselves beforehand.

16. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, still missing?

17. Northern Dancer

It's a bit freaky but I have not heard one thing about these guys. Strange.

ND

18. Northern Dancer

Follow up to this story.

The bodies of two men missing since their canoes capsized in Algonquin Park have been recovered by police divers three weeks after they disappeared.

The underwater search and recovery unit of the OPP located the bodies of Tim Kolder, 19, of Mississauga and Jeremy Marrows, 21, of Georgetown, in Opeongo Lake. Kolder and Marrows, had been missing for about three weeks when they were canoeing side-by-side and their canoes capsized.

The Ontario Provincial Police Killaloe detachment, its emergency response team, marine units, aviation unit and underwater search and recovery unit were all enlisted in the search.

______________________________________________________________________________________

CANOEING SEASON IS AROUND THE CORNER
    IT IS TIME TO REVIEW SAFETY PRACTICES
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

upload_2015-4-6_13-50-3.jpeg At least they are wearing a life jacket.

19. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Oh man... that suck's..

20. campforums

It makes me wonder how they drowned if they were wearing life jackets. It shouldn't have even been that cold in July.

Draft saved Draft deleted