1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Type Of Cooking Stove

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Apr 17, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I know with camping there are a lot of different options as far as the type of cooking stove to use depending on whether you are on an extending camping trip, or backpacking, or even camping at the local state park campgrounds. Some people small kerosene stoves or butane stoves, alcohol stoves or wood stoves, while others like cooking over a camp fire.

Recently I have been looking at the different sizes and models of the Titanium Wood stove. It is made well with strong legs and is to be used with a few sections of stove pipe inside the a tent. It has a solid flat surface on top for cooking food or just boiling water. The fire box is well made and the stove breaks down for easy transportation.

I like the idea of using it within a tent that has the build-in stove pipe hole, as well as, set up in such a fashion that allows outside cooking in a comfortable way. Anyways do a web search on this type of stove and see what you think in terms of safety and ease of use. My link appears not to work and so I have edited it out.

I was wondering what type of stove you use and if you like it, what are it's best and worse features? Have you ever used the Titanium, or a similar model?

This is the link to a video of the stove I mentioned. It seems like it would be a great addition to any camping trip where you wanted to use the natural cooking methods of cooking over a fire using wood, but also have a nice cooking surface that will hold a water kettle or a few pots or a skillet with ease. If you used it in a tent you would stay warm and have a great cooking area. The video's on-line show how well it works and and how the various parts of it are used.

2. I think it is very helpful to have a camping stove around if you either don't make a campfire or don't like cooking on it. However, what we have been doing to cook lately is to set two cement blocks on the side of the campfire and set a grate from a grill or cooking stove across the blocks. You don't have to use any propane, and you still have a cooking surface to set pans on to boil water, etc, as well as you can grill directly on the grate if you want. Thank you for sharing the information about the Titanium stove. That is a great alternative for when a fire isn't possible, like when it rains, as it seems to do a lot when I camp!

2sweed likes this.
  3. 2sweed

I wish you would come back and talk some more. I liked what you said about the Titanium Stove, and agree with your comments. Just to have that flat surface to cook on or to keep a pot simmering on the back for later use would be a good thing. Plus, I don't think the pots would get that black soot build up using this type of stove. It would be a great stove to use outside at home as well in an emergency. :)

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

My brother has a small portable charcoal barbecue that I sometimes use. In my opinion food cooked over charcoal tastes much better than over propane. I haven't tried those other fuels so I can't comment and cooking over a camp fire is great too but I find that it can be very difficult to get an even distribution of heat which can make whatever you're making burnt on one side and uncooked on the other unless you frequently rotate it around the fire.

Also @2sweed I don't see any video... Is this the stove you were talking about? It looks like it might solve the problem of heat distribution that many encounter with a normal camp fire.

bf2fd2a8a43007fecaa9f45acb51b083.jpg

5. 2sweed

I like that different setup of a stove, but the one I was looking at is much different and provides more cooking space. Here is the video that you ask for...

6. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

That thing looks boss

7. campforums

Probably not as portable as the gas ones though.... and a pain in the ass to clean I'm sure.

8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

In the winter I do hot tent camping - meaning I use a wood stove in the tent. I can cook on it and the like. At the side I have a hot water heater that provides and abundance of hot water for a variety of needs. There is a metal tray attached to the oppose side so I can slide pots and pans over to to keep food warm after cooked. I bring along a box of compressed logs in case I can't find ready logs because of the snow.

I looked at the titanium stove...then I looked at the price...then I made a portable stove out of a Tim Horton's coffee can. Simple but effective. I can use twigs off the forest ground for fuel or one of the safe heat cans [about $1.49 on sale] that will burn for up to 6 hours. When I use the canned fuel I put two containers in the can [stove] for storage and cover with the plastic lid that keeps everything together. That's enough fuel to make all my one pot meals in a weekend. OR if others come we divvy up the meal preparation and expand the menu.

I've made stoves from pop cans, bean cans and tomato soup cans. Sometimes I've been sophisticated and have been neat with the cut lines and design. Others times I simply puncture the can with enough holes to provide air vents for the fire. At the end of the trip it is deposited into the garbage can.

Lots of illustrations on line - check out the gas stoves and more especially the hobo stoves.

9. campforums

I can imagine that would make your tent nice and warm on a cold summer night. A lot of people are surprised how cold it gets at night even in the middle of the summer when you're sleeping outside without a roof and 4 walls to protect you. Even though it's not much, a tent doesn't need a lot of heat to warm up.

Does your tent have a flap of some sort to help with ventilation? Or do you find that smoke from the twigs don't produce too much smoke?

10. Northern Dancer

It is specifically designed for winter use - just getting to know how to use the flaps effectively is a bit tricky.

I do use a Buddy Heater on occasion when the summer evenings are cold, just to warm things up a bit before getting into the sleeping bag - I don't sleep with it on. Sometimes I use it when it has rained heavily for awhile just to get the dampness out.

Some of my colleagues have used those fire pots that come with canned fuel. It is an open flame and it will burn for several hours.

I still like to make the stove for cooking purposes though.

11. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I have always been cooking using a firewood or on a campfire when out for camping. I just have to find three big rocks to circle the fire but close enough to hold the cooking pan.

Another method I use is like in the picture so I can hang the cooking bowl above the fire. Don't mind about the socks because I hang and dry my socks there after the cooking is done :D:
    Campforum.jpg

12. Northern Dancer

It's true...you can use just about anything your imagination permits. BUT...as I teach - always a small fire for cooking - just like at home. There is nothing worse than a hot dog burned on the outside and raw in the inside.

13. campforums

Yep, you'll get quite nauseous and feel very sick. Great way to spoil and otherwise great outing.

Also for the tent heating, have you seen these Zippo hand warmers types of small heaters. I was looking at using one to keep in my jacket pocket when I go skiing.

zippo_handwarmer.jpg

14. Northern Dancer

It is amazing is all the camping products available in the market place that manage just about any situation. For a price of course.

For fun I like to check into Gear Review - Gear Junkie. The list goes on and on.

Draft saved Draft deleted