1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Urchins (Haukiuki)

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Oct 29, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

These type of sea urchins are found on the rocky shorelines of Hawaii. As a kid I use to crack them open with a rock and eat the inner yellow meat. It's really good. Yes......you eat it raw. There isn't much meat in one urchin, so you need to harvest several just to get full.

In a survival situation, would you be able to eat one?

2901781314_9a271950fe.jpg
    632f050e.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What is the consistency of the "meat"? It doesn't look like what I would normally consider meat, in fact it reminds me more of a bean. Even seafood usually has a sort of grainy texture of the muscle fibers. Is it usually served warm or cold? You make it sound tasty so I don't see why I wouldn't eat one (survival situation or not).

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

If you have eaten raw fish before (sashimi), it's similar to that. It's served fresh off the rocks. Cold blooded creatures, so yeah, served cold.

Draft saved Draft deleted