1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Use Water Skier Hand Signals For Safety

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by 2sweed, Feb 21, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I remember as a child when we went camping at the local lakes and wide deep rivers, someone always brought along a boat and water skiing was a wonderful pass time on hot days. My father and my Aunt were very good on the water and my mother learned fast how to stay upright. I was scared of the waves and of course the water was much to rough for me to even give it a try. I had noticed different hand signals were used and thought I would share them.

Thumbs Up meant to speed up the boat.

Thumbs down meant to slow down the boat.

Cut Motor/Stop was made by making a slashing motion over the neck and meant to immediately stop the boat.

Turn was made by a circle motion of putting ones arms overhead, then pointing in the desired direction.

Return To The Dock was made by patting ones head.

OK was made by using the hand signal of fingers to form an okay, and that meant the speed or boat path was okay.

I'm OK, made by putting arms over head and interlocking hands, meaning that the skier was okay after falling.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yes, it is important to stay safe by using hand signals. As the driver of the boat you don't want to do something that would make the skier uncomfortable or put them in danger.

It is good that you were taught the standard hand signals also

ski_signals.gif

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Erik, that poster is hilarious and I don't know why. It might be the Ken doll looking guy in the image. It might be the rather odd motions. It might be that nobody in the history of Forever has ever bothered learning these signals... I really don't know. I wasn't even aware there was a specific method of communication. Educational.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Everyone I know who does water skiing or tubing uses signals. It is VERY VERY dangerous if you don't have a way to communicate with the driver

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Those of us who canoe MUST LEARN the hand signals especially if you are in a group. The lead canoe is the first to see dangers and can alert the rest of the crew by a simple hand [or paddle] sign.

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Oh, we use signals - we have just never bothered to use these signals. What I was saying is that we didn't know there was an "official" set of signals. It was always always just like thumbs up and whatever when it was just us out there.

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

True - most of us are informal and memorize the ones used most often and are understood. When it comes to some formal testing however, the expectation is that we know them all.

Draft saved Draft deleted