1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Venomous vs poisonous

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bibsoutdoors, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I was on another site and people were talking about poisonous snakes. I found this and believe you can't go wrong if you remember this,

If you bite it and you die, it's poisonous 8b783304dc1fa18451ac870ebc9b9bbc.jpg

If it bites you and you die, it's venomous 5cffa9a35f3c56e6e714c4a1925bb701.jpg

It may really be no big deal, you just sound more credible when speaking with others.

Bibsoutdoors

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...my knowledge of snakes is limited to the wilderness first aid modules on poisonous snake bites. Probably due to the fact there are only four poisonous snakes in Canada that one has to fear; none of those snakes are in the areas that I frequent. There are a lot of snakes but all harmless and are often killed outright by unscrupulous and dumb people who haven't done their homework nor really know the terrain they are camping in.

3. Northern Dancer

Canada is home to four species of venomous snakes, including the Northern Pacific rattlesnake, Massasauga, Desert Nightsnake and Prairie rattlesnake. Snake venom is a toxin, not a poison, so there are no poisonous snakes found in Canada or anywhere else in the world.

INTERESTING

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

WOW,
    I just got b__ch slapped from some guy named Chad. Here's the information he just sent me.

Thanks for the ATA, This is a particular bugbear of mine, being both a lover of reptiles and of language.
    I believe Eric Brenner is confusing the two known poisonous snake species (at least, the only two I have knowledge of). One is the common Garter Snake of North America, which in certain populations is known to eat toxic salamanders and become themselves poisonous as a result.
    The second is the Tiger Keelback (Rhabdophis tigrinis) from Japan, which gets its poison from the toads it eats. Interestingly, the Tiger Keelback biochemically processes the toad-poisons to make them even more deadly, which it then secretes from glands on the back of its neck threatened. Even more interestingly, a mother Keelback with sufficient stored toxin can pass some of it to its brood, giving them a head-start in life.

I still don't think I buy this. . .Or am I just being stubborn? I guess I better look into this to make sure there is some credibility to his info.

Bibsoutdoors

5. Northern Dancer

...interesting. When I get involved in these sorts of discussions the first thing I ask for are FACTS. I would like to think that our professional community has a handle on this sort of stuff and I tend to bend to their expertise. Though - as we all know - they have been wrong. But one as to start somewhere.

My hair curls when people give opinionated thoughts about wolves. Usually all wrong and without fact. More fiction.

I use to ask students, "How many of you have drank yourself sober?" I have students who will argue me to the ground that they have done just that. IMPOSSIBLE - but if you really believe it, you believe it.

Draft saved Draft deleted