1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Watch out for these "birds" !

Discussion in 'Nature' started by happyflowerlady, Sep 21, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

The other day I ran across this video on the internet that seems to show a pteranodon, which are supposed to have been extinct for eons. When I checked out the video, it turned out to have been taken in Idaho, which is where I grew up at. This was taken near Boise, in southern Idaho, and that is not all that far away from the Wilderness Area of Idaho. I can see that if one of these flying reptiles does still exist that it might be pretty hard for people to know about it, since the area is very remote. Someone would have to actually be close enough to one to be able to tell that it was not just an eagle in the distance.

After watching the video, I looked for more sightings, and it turns out that people have pictures of similar creatures that were taken in Montana, Texas, and pretty much all over the world in the more remote areas.

There are old pictures from back in the 1800's that show dead ones that people shot and probably wondered what in the world that they were, since they really do not look like any kind of a regular bird. It seems to me that it could be totally possiblle that these ancient creatures do still exist, and are probably seldom seen unless they do fly close to a city where more people are apt to see them. One theory is that these are what the Native Americans called the "thunderbird", which was supposed to be a gigantic flying creature that they knew was not just an eagle.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for sharing the interesting video. It is hard to make out from a distance but you can see from the odd shaped head that there is something up. It would be interesting if they could capture one and see how it compares to the fossilized records.

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Here is a very interesting old Civil-War era picture that shows some soldiers standing around a dead pteranodon that they had shot down. Back in those days, no one had even heard about dinosaurs, let alone a prehistoric creature like this one; so you can imagine their surprise when it came flying over and they shot it down........... Or, maybe not.

If this was actually the same thing as the Indians called a "thunderbird", then maybe it was something that was sometimes seen in the deep forests or high mountains. If they had no idea that it should not exist, then they would just think it was some kind of a very unusual flying reptile, or maybe some kind of strange bird.

We are still finding creatures that we thought to have been extinct, especially now that we are exploring the deeper parts of the oceans. Some dinosaur bones that were found in Montana were dated back to only a few thousand years, and they actually had blood cells,muscle tisue and bone marrow. In fact, the discovery was not even examined for over 20 years , because the finders though that it had to be some kind of bison remains.

Even Panda bears were not discovered until in the mid-1800's, and they stand out with their black/white colors against the green of the bamboo that they live in , and Panda's don't even try to hide out. So, any creature that was trying to avoid people and lived in a remote area would be almost impossible to discover.

4. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

Would be fantastic to see something like this. I wonder if it was photoshopped or if it is genuine footage? Or if perhaps it was a 'toy' flown by remote control. I'm a skeptic so I would lean to thinking it is somehow a fake or scientists would be out there attempting to capture it. No doubt, there are thousands, if not tens of thousands of animals that exist we have yet to discover but I would think something like a pteranodon would be predatory enough to be noticed. Prey animals hide better.

As for being a thunderbird. Could be they were referring to those or something similar as some drawings look similar and they do report they attacked as predators, both human and animal. But, they also have very old, incredibly large, feathers some believe to be from the thunderbirds. I think a more common explanation would be a bird more like a giant condor type bird, which also have feathers like those found suspected of being from a Native American thunderbird.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I am not sure if we will ever know whether thunderbirds were really anything more than mythology and I am not sure if really will ever know the true answer with certainty but that old photo really does make one wonder. Maybe one day its skeleton will be discovered and it can be carbon dated.

Draft saved Draft deleted