1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Water Filtration System?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by camping, Aug 9, 2016.

1. camping

camping Newbie

Hi,
    I don't have much experience when it comes to choosing the water filtration system, so can someone please guide me through the water filtration systems which I can buy and how to use them as well.

Also, are there different techniques which are used in such water filtration system or does each one use the same technique?

Any guidance would be helpful.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

BUY THE BEST - NOT THE MOST EXPENSIVE.

What ever kind of equipment you purchase go online and check the consumers reports NOT what the company has to say about it's product.

These are the ones that I use but there are certainly others on the market.

upload_2016-8-13_15-14-43.jpeg The hand pump by Katadyne; I also use

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR7gYjZ_X5-kwROwQUXxf1GI9fCVGna_fgjOwp4kVwTEG3WUfOetgdoPO5.jpg This is the Katadyne Base Camp model I use all the time when tripping. It holds a considerable amount of water.

There is a Camping Babble thread on this subject.

IF YOU ARE NOT USING A DEVICE - you bring the water to a rolling boil for five minutes.

3. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Interesting. I considered buying my son a lifestraw because he wants to drink lake water off of his hands when we're kayaking... Definitely not a swimming safe lake. I can't figure out why he tries to do that... I'm forever wiping him off. I just don't know about the lifestraw.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

4. Northern Dancer

You are in a different situation but in mine I make sure that it is the best and not just convenient. We used the Katadyne Base Camp filter system for five days for four people. I've got to be absolutely confident in the system. Drinking from a straw might suggest to a child that all you need is a straw.

A number of years ago a colleague got the famous "beaver fever" and was sick for days because he thought the water "looked okay" - it wasn't. I don't take any chances.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgtrWUI91tt4t2X7dUCXt-csbLc3qGVmUM6L8GsNW5nkdlEatuDg.png

5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Right. I tend to think the lifestraw doesn't look enough like a straw, but I ended up buying a camelbak and he seems pleased. Well all of them really, hovering around me like baby birds for their turn to drain the 2L bag. So far I haven't needed a filtration system, but if we get into more primitive camping, it would be on the list.

I'm also too paranoid to buy the lifestraw so I don't think I'd ever think water "looks okay" ha. I question what comes out of the faucet at home lol.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

6. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

You could always look into purchasing a Brita water pitcher. You put water in the jug and it has a filteration system in it. I love ours and we use it daily at home.
    Soho Water Pitcher with Filter | Brita®

7. Northern Dancer

I use that system too - at home. It is not recommended for camp water - you could put yourself at risk.

8. diy_john

diy_john Novice Camper

I use the Katadyn. It's good and the activated charcoal in the filter really helps with taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

9. Northern Dancer

-----------------------------------------> :)

Agree - I have three of them, two regular pump kind and one Base Camp kind. They have served me well.
    Welcome again to Camping Babble

10. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

For large scale water purification, we went with a Big Berkey system. It is not, however, portable. For that, we've gone with the LifeStraw and various handheld filtration bottles. The latter works better in our experience.

11. Milner77

Milner77 Newbie

12. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

Besides a water filtration system, you can cover a non toxic tree's branch with a bag to collect morning dew moisture, which is a good source of water, albeit a bit meager, and after a proper boiling of course. Just like this:

TBsurvival10.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted