1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Wecome spring...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes I love spring time! Taken from my backyard just now. faebe54af47a01bdf49c9334adf240e5.jpg crabapple on the right, golden rod in the middle, and dogwood on the left. The crabapple and dogwood are just starting about the time the golden rod is done. We just planted a little snow ball bush between the crabapple and golden rod it's barely noticable.

Happy Spring Y'all

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

IMG_0813.jpg

Aw...yes...Camping in Spring;
    got a lot worse Saturday night and Sunday morning,

the winds howled to four o'clock,
    sure glad I brought a winter sleeping bag and coat.

killeroy154 likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That was from this weekend? I saw it snowing this weekend and thought of this thread haha

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow @dancer looks like you got tent plastered with snow. Must've been pretty good snow storm.

Had snow in the Smokey mtn week before last elevation 3500 ft and up. Down here in the valley today about 65 degrees F faa971dc70fff47bcca0ee18df7e7afc.jpg . Lots of stuff blooming. People were having cookouts in the park. 84c52214ce2785aaebaa922f6fd08bcc.jpg . The smell of raw meat cooking on the grill was awsome. I wondered if they would notice if I slid in there for a burger. Thought maybe I was related, through marriage of course, usually if you marry a hillbilly girl you pretty much related to most here in east tn valley.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :(

We got the rest of it this morning...sigh...come on summer! Next weekend is posted for May 8th.

6. Northern Dancer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

The tent looked more like an igloo and I had to brush the snow off several times. This is not a winter tent - it is one of my inventory that I wanted to test to see how it might fare for my first canoe trip in June. I had actually brought two tents - but I was to busy to set the second one up. Anyway the tent seemed to do well. I'll test again in early June? We have 15 cm of snow this morning. [About six inches.]

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

What is the difference between a winter or summer tent? They both have to ventilate because of the body moisture. It would seem even canvas should have some ventilation or you would have ice cycles hanging on the inside, if you didn't have a heat source of course.

8. Northern Dancer

When we really get picky there are types of tents for each of the four seasons. Most people purchase the two or three season varieties which would include spring, summer and fall. Though you can buy a strictly summer type - usually the ones sold at Walmart etc.

The primary different between the winter and summer tent is the structure and design. The winter tent is specifically designed to withstand winds, ice rain and of course snow. The manufacturers also are alert to the problem of condensation and provide limited solutions. [We have a thread online that addresses this problem.] Condensation for the most part is the air that you breathe out that, yes, clings to the inside of the walls of your tent. Yep - these tents tend to be a lot more expensive.

You can take the winter designed tent up a notch too - like me you could have a four season [winter tent] that comes with a stove jack allowing you to have a wood burning stove inside. This type of tent camping is often referred to as hot tent camping. Many of the designs are called outfitters tents and are used as a base camp - such as hunters would use.

alaknak_in_the_snow.jpg

This is one of my winter tents - it is an Alaknak with a front vestibule attached. I have three of these types - one is a three season tent. You can check them out on Cabela's. :thumbsup:

:bear: Baden Bear says, "Did you know that Northern Dancer has ten tents in his inventory?" "The guy could open a store with all equipment he has."

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow 10! That's quite an inventory. You must have a tent for any season or occasion. I've only got 3 I had 4, but I left one under the canoe trailer when I was bugging out in a storm.

Where do you store them? I have all my stuff in the basement. I haven't had any trouble with mice thanks to these two 66dc42df810707f34b449ac514d25c2f.jpg
    34f7d8e22e1a0cfa0757d41562c3b746.jpg

Eh second thought, maybe I better go sling some mothballs around in the basement when I get home.

10. Northern Dancer

...as you might expect I have one room for tents and shelters and another room for other equipment such as stoves, lanterns, packs and such. In my shed I have poles, and other equipment safe to store outside. My canoe is on a rack at the back. Remember if you store a tent in the basement do not lay it on the floor. It is better up off the floor and if possible out of the bag. I do the same with my sleeping bags to prevent permanent creases forming and to assure that they are well aired out. *Another tip - I use sleeping bag inserts to keep the inner bag from becoming soiled.

It's great to talk to another camp enthusiast - like your sense of humour too! :)

11. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeyNcvXPU1OXO1OH1k93-3Ioo6ksYDqqqCasl2irDXn5cOaDCj3g.jpg
    PLANT YOUR STATE, PROVINCIAL, OR JURISDICTION FLOWER and INFORMATION HERE TODAY!
    Let's get things GROWING for a FABULOUS SUMMER
    =================================
    Ontario Trillium images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-7hoOmcE1mbWoeRdAFwsDQ4ByFj8IvIXnNPdd26PdL8nxyoX_.jpg Common Loon upload_2017-3-22_20-34-24.jpeg
    Celebration images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx2acA3CLVF4xc1I8MnZYPC9OnF3r5pNQyOQuVHbkFlcnw4j66qg.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0ZKN5jOKGqrdX_B1YncAEVno0oMrK4fxacqVYekeJFrvt1n8V.jpg Eastern White Pine

upload_2017-3-22_20-24-57.jpeg
    Ontario - Yours to Discover

Attached Files:

killeroy154 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted