1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Weird Food Choices & Best Choices

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Oct 11, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I found this video which helps in making food choices in what to take or not take when hiking long distances. Even backpacking short distances the information could be quite valuable. It is a video that makes you think hard about what types of food one should carry.

2. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

Great information. Thanks for sharing it. I wish he'd shown his pack at the start of his trip, with the weight and how long it would sustain him for. Also, what is meant by drop shipping items to hikers? I'm not familiar with the AT trails or hiking them. I'm a bit of a prepper type so this type of thing interests me from both a camping perspective as well as prepping.

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I will be posting more of his video's. The drop shipping is a way that friends and family can help supply a hiker on long distance hikes by sending food supplies ahead to town post offices along the trail. That way it reduces the amount of food one has to carry and helps where prices might be really high, or the food needed might not be available.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh okay, I was thinking of when they do aerial drops to really remote areas where planes cannot land

5. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

That's what I was kind of invisioning, too, @campforums . I know that trail is far-reaching so wondered how they would track the hikers. I suppose if it were well planned out and they have those towns along the trail, it makes sense now. I've never hiked on such a trail or camped like that. I go where there is total solitude.
    It also made me wonder what these hikers do for a living when the hikes last so long.

Draft saved Draft deleted