1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What brand do you trust best for tents?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Esperahol, Aug 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Oh my you are making me hungry right now lol. I had some pepperoni pizza today for dinner. I might get another piece of lemon pound cake later on.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

As you can appreciate many of our campers have a real difficult time of it and we want to make sure we do what we can for them. It is our policy to do what is best and we simply don't cut any corners on food. As well as having an experienced cook and staff we also have a vegetarian and vegan cook as well. We also have two RN's, one paramedic, one physician and one training to be a doctor. We also have four care team members of which I am one.

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well that is wonderful to hear you are taking precautions with the staff. Its good to have some trained and licensed cooks. I cannot really cut any corners with food.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hmm, interesting. I have never seen an actual t-pee style tent other than some on display at museums and those were nowhere near 18x18.

5. Northern Dancer

I'll be out with our parish scouting group at the end of the month and will be using the t-pee at that time. The theme for the weekend is native. I plan to take some pics and post them.

An amusing story about my t-pee while I was in Algonquin a few years back. One of the super duty park rangers - white car and all - drove into my camp site and after a few words of greeting wanted to know where I cut down the poles for my tent. "What poles? I said." "The ones for the t-pee," he answered.

I thought that he was a bit dunce. Anyway, I invited him to look inside and he realized instantly that there was just one single steel pole in the centre and that the top opening was adjustable. You can have it open on hot days and closed when it rains etc. [I realized that he may have thought that I had cut down young saplings for the tent.]

The actual name of the t-pee is called extreme t-pee. I don't think they make them anymore.

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

How was Algonquin I never been there? That is odd for a t-pee to have one pole to support the whole weight of the t-pee.

7. Northern Dancer

Algonquin is fabulous place in every way with 3,000 square miles of land containing over 2,400 lakes. Established in 1893 it is 1 1/2 times the size of our Province of Prince Edward Island. Love it!

The t-pee has been designed to take jut one pole. The material makes it light and easy to manage. Like all my tents it can be put up by one man...one woman for that matter. :) :bear:

8. Helpful commentary - I Appreciate the info . Does anyone know where my assistant could possibly locate a sample 2008 Letter of Consent to Travel document to fill out ?

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'm not familiar with that document, who told you that you needed one?

10. Northern Dancer

I'm not sure what that is either - would like more information.

11. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

I have always considered buying the lightest backpacking tent available. I like choosing from a wide range of tent styles to get the one that suits my needs. I have a Kelty branded tent that can accommodate upto to two people. I love it since I never worry when the weather is windy or when their is a lot of rain. It is light in weight which makes it easier for me to carry it around.

12. Northern Dancer

For me the first question is, "What I'm I using this tent for?" When that is decided then I begin to look at what the current designs and specs are. I never purchase anything that isn't on sale. There are thousands of designs out there - the problem has always been selecting what is needed.

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl Newbie

That is a great looking tent!! I love the campsite too, looks so organized and fun.

14. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl Newbie

Our first tent was purchased at Target, and it's their brand, can't remember the name of it now though. It's a two room tent, with a divider in the middle. Our kids sleep on one side and myself and my husband on the other. We've had it since 2005, and it's been great for us. We always take care to sweep out and roll it up and store it in the bag it came in.

15. Northern Dancer

...it's what is best for the circumstance, how often you plan to use it, where and when and how much you are prepared to pay for it. It is not unusual for me to be out for a month or so - sometimes canoeing. I've got to have excellent equipment - my life could depend upon it. :)

16. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I purchased this tent from someone I worked with. This was about 12 years ago, and I think I gave him about 75 bucks for it. It is an inexpensive two room tent like the ones Target sells. a6df13941962fb8e8863ffb9203c2132.jpg . It has served me well. I have weathered some horrendous storms in it. Rain, hail and even a close tornado, and I still have it. The only problem I had was the rain fly which started leaking a few years ago. My brother purchaced a new boat in west tennessee, so we packed our camping stuff, and took off to get his new boat. It was a good 8 hour drive across the state, and we figured we would camp at a different lake every other day on our way back. We had a blast! But the put up and take down of this tent, every day, plus the age of it, took the toll on the rain fly. The stitched seams started leaking, and the rest of the tent is great. When I buy another one I want taped seams.

This one I bought because it had taped seams, and I figured the A frame would shed water like a duck.
    ec93cb93725ea06a39782d70abbce569.jpg . I only got to use it once, and it was 25 degrees F out side, so rain was out of the question. I liked this style of tent, but it also has its drawbacks.

I be going on an overnight trip in a couple of weeks with my nephew, so we'll take this easy to setup 7 by 7 dome. I don't use the word "cheap" it is an inexpensive tent. Here is my grandson modeling it 01794a11fb47352e32ca5708a01aa274.jpg

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

17. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Don't get me wrong if I did some extreme camping like @Northern Dancer does, then I would invest in some good reliable shelter. I am sort of a weekend camper. I would love to do some extreme wilderness camping, but right now it's just a dream, so happy with a day or four every now and then.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

18. Northern Dancer

@killerfoy154 - a weekend warrior. It's just great that you can get away at all. Do what you can if this is what you like. I remember one summer that I was transferred to another parish and didn't get any summer. I value any time when I'm away.

Just in case - Seam Sealing a Tent or Tarp. Seam Sealing is the process of treating the stitch holes and seams in gear made from waterproof fabric to prevent them from leaking when it rains or snows to achieve maximum water proofness.

Good tents come with sealing but where it is sown there may be a need to close those tinny little holes. The outfitters tents that I use do not require a rain sheet and are doubled stitched and woven to prevent leaks.

AGREED - every tent has it's drawbacks...the manufacturers have never made a perfect one yet - though they are trying hard. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted