1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What is in your first aid kit?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Onatah, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

On our last camping trip, a close friend was seriously injured. We were riding horses up a trail far from camp that also happened to be narrow and heavily wooded. Thankfully, we had cell phone service up there (top of small 'mountain'). We were staying at a horse camp we frequent so we called the camp owner who then helped paramedics locate us. The people who work there had a hard time finding us, even knowing the number of our trail (trail #13 for what it's worth...).

Given the amount of time it took them to locate us and the fact this could have been potentially life threatening, it made me rethink my standard first aid packing skills. For one, my arm sling will now go with me. I'm not sure what else could have helped in that particular situation but it showed me how quickly things can happen.

Is there a locator we could have employed with the camp? I know you can put GPS on your kids' phones but I'm totally new to having an android phone so would appreciate knowing what cell phone apps may be out there as well.

Photo of me taken by my friend's husband just minutes before she was injured. It was so serene and peaceful.
    You just can't predict...

12080175_10154322352572178_7971304076220679082_o.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Very....interesting. I have been examining "homing devices" or "locators" as I'm a lone canoe/camper. And first aid kits? I have the standard three plus a "lost" bag. I'll get back to you later.

- "I owe I owe - it's off to work I go. :(

3. Northern Dancer

First Aid kits - I have three of them. [Checked each year before the summer season to assure that everything is up to date.]

I have a base camp or field kit, a canoe tripping kit, and smaller one for hiking and/or for my "lost" kit.

AND I have some items that are designated for my dog Reese.

Among other things they are equipped with proper scissors (ones that are sharp and can be relied upon to cut), breathing mask and other items that are appropriate for a "wilderness" application. Most of us have a standard first aid course and some of us have wilderness models as well.

I purchase my material from a pharmacy that specializes in first aid supplies (the folks that supply our emergency crews and the like) as they have what I need. The usual stuff like band aids for fingers and simply applications can be purchased anywhere.

We have one reference plastic booklet that is helpful for quick remembering in the canoe kit. It's called Emergency First Aid - recognition and treatment of medial emergencies by the Waterfood Press USA - costs $5.95 (I have the emergency, standard and wilderness first aid books on the shelf and I actually take them down and read them again before the regular season.)

A reminder to other readers - first aid kits are nearly useless if you haven't developed the skills to use them. Take a course today!

4. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I always camp near civilization, and rely on the kindness of strangers and proximity to an emergency room. Tweezers, a bottle of peroxide, and a box of bandaids has seen me through five seasons.

5. Northern Dancer

It's great if you can do that but when we are tripping that kind of thinking could cause a life. I still strongly recommend a first aid course for anyone whether they camp or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted