1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Is Your Favorite Insect Repellant

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 1, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Whenever we go camping it is important to take some form of insect repellent along to keep the hungry insects from biting. Many people use Avon Skin-so-Soft, or other sprays or wipes. I prefer OFF spray (Orange Cap) as it works well in keeping flying insects at bay, as well as, ticks, by spraying my hat and back, and the lower pant legs of my jeans and shoes. But what do you find that works the best when your out in the woods or walking through areas of high grass in meadows or fields?

bug1.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Bug spray is an interesting topic, I never found it to work too well for me. I also have a suspicion that different scents from things like sunscreen and deodorant attract mosquitoes. Do you have any experience with this? Also you should know that they have different insect repellents available for different types of insects, although I think mosquitoes are the most pesky ones that most people are worried about.

3. 2sweed

Since I am allergic to many products I tend to use unscented sunscreen and deodorants. However, that said I use the regular orange capped OFF, which works well to repel mosquitoes and ticks, and deer flies and no see m's. This is the most annoying insects in my part of the State. The repellent usually lasts for 2-3 hours or more. You can buy the wet spray or the new dry spray.
    I have tried Deep Woods Off with no results. It does not work for me, yet I have a friend who uses the wipes with excellent results. :)

4. campforums

Oh, I think the deep woods Off was the kind I had been using. I believe it came in a green aerosol (or sometimes squirt bottle) can? Maybe that one isn't very good if it didn't work for either of us. I have yet to try the dry kind which sounds nice if you want to avoid getting any on your clothes.

5. Francy

Francy Newbie

I prefer OFF as well, any type. However, I heard recently by taking vitamin B12 or B6 it wards off the bugs. I'm curious to see if this is true. Has anyone heard of this?

6. 2sweed

Hi Francy, I have not heard of using B12 or B6. but others may have knowledge of this. By the way glad to have you on the forum. Hope to share more with you. :happy:

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I don't like bug spray but if I have to it is not the brand it is the deet content. FOR ADULTS IT SHOULD CONTAIN APPROXIMATELY 29% - it is not recommended for children. I find that a lot of products on the market are useless - I know, because I have deliberately tested them and found them to be so. It is the deet that is the chemical that wards off the biting insects. A colleague of mine was able to get a military version of a product that has considerable more deet than the products sold to the general public.

The product that I prefer [if I use it at all] is Watkins Great Outdoors Insect Repellent Lotion. [Made in the USA] I like the lotion because it smells better and it is more effective gently rubbing onto the open areas. I can't use sprays because there is a danger of breathing in the fumes.

I have experimented with natural remedies but I have not found any that work to my satisfaction.

It is important to keep in mind that black clothing attracts bugs, especially mosquitoes and other biting insects. Wearing brighter clothing is much better. Since my ankles seem to be a delight to some of these creatures I tend to wear socks that go just below the knees.
    Mosquitoes will come out in force at dusk and certainly after a rain.

8. Northern Dancer

...and then there is also Muskol [made in Quebec since 1951]. It has 23.5% deet and is an excellent product. Remember, repellents are just that - they repel the insects, they don't stop them from flying around you to check you out. IF YOU HAVE A REPELLENT ON AND THE MOSQUITOES LAND AND TAKE A BIT? Then your product is useless and you need to select another. Remember, good products are not cheap - so...the cheaper they are the less effective they are.

9. 2sweed

While I am not crazy about using sprays either, I am allergic to most of the lotions. Avon skin-so-soft, gives me major headaches. I usually just spray my clothing. My hat and long-sleeved shirt, front and back , and my pant legs and shoes. I cover my face while spraying it on outdoors. While the insects do fly around me they don't come in for a taste of me with OFF on.

10. Northern Dancer

You make a really good point - most insect repellent labels carry warnings that are often missed - especially for children.

11. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

12. Northern Dancer

I'm not sure either - I do know that I don't like to breath them in. But like I said, "If they work, they work, if they don't, they don't."
    I find that most people really don't test products - possibly because it is more a psychological comfort than anything else.
    Like those clip on things - I haven't seen any evidence to prove they work.

13. campforums

Is there any disadvantage to using a bug repellent with such a high deet content? For example irritation of the skin? (Although I suppose even that could be avoided but applying to your clothes instead of directly on the skin) There must be a reason for it being available only through the military.

Personally I have never found bug repellent to be very useful for me and pretty much stopped using it, now I just wear somewhat fitted clothes and bring along some After-bite or calamine lotion to deal with the bites that I do get. Have you tested out any of the products that don't use deet as their main ingredient? I know there are quite a few alternatives (although they might not be as common). For example citronella oil seems to be pretty popular in the form of those big candles I see being sold everywhere and planted around peoples lawns every summer.

14. Northern Dancer

You are wise because every bottle of lotion, spray, coil or whatever, will have a warning label of some sort. "Deet" a proven substance will do what it says it will do but of course there is a risk of side effects. I have tested other products - and frequently the cost and the bother simply don't justify the effort.

I do what you do for the most part - I do not use anything. I watch where I set camp to avoid muskeg and still waters, wear appropriate clothing, keep myself clear of perfumed hair shampoos, body wash and fruity smelling deodorants [there are products you can use that have no odour]. I'm aware of the high times for bugs and will wait a week or two before venturing out.

This year will be interesting because of the late spring season.

Whatever the situation I appreciate that insects are a part of life like everything else in this world - I simply do what I can to adjust...so I can enjoy what I want to enjoy in spite of. :)

15. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

I personally have found that spraying Febreeze around your area repels bugs. They can't stand the smell of it so therefore, you're bug free. I have also found that mixing vinegar and water together then spraying works to.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  16. Northern Dancer

I didn't think that would work. :) All the research that I have done limits what really is effective. Like I said in a previous thread...if it works...it works...if it don't...it doesn't. Really important to read the labels and do the research. Be careful that you don't create a hazardous situation. Sweet smelling scents bring other creatures to forage for food. Animals don't know the difference between a smell and food. :bear:

Glad to see you on line...

ND

17. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

apparently eating vitamin B12 tablets repels mosquitoes...

18. Northern Dancer

I've heard about that too - it didn't work for me.

19. campforums

Sometimes it is hard to tell what is causing insects to be particularly vicious or nowhere to be found. Especially when you always do the same thing. I've heard all kinds of wonky ideas for repelling bugs because someone said it worked for them one time. I think it is like you said, research has been done and there are a few substances that are proven to repel bugs. Some days just happen to not be particularly buggy so watch out for the placebo effect.

I take a few vitamins each day myself, but I find it hard to believe they make me smell any different.... o_O

20. Northern Dancer

According to the studies [if you can believe them] you are right. The other issues include where you are camping, the activity you are involved in, you height, weight and all that stuff. Some people seem to attract them more easily than others. Of all the bugs that are out there the tick and the mosquito are the ones that concern me most. They have a viscous record.

See you in August...

Draft saved Draft deleted