1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Is Your Favorite Insect Repellant

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 1, 2014.

1. davbonpol13

davbonpol13 Newbie

I am on the look out for something natural to use for repellant, so I like the idea mentioned above of using vinegar. I use ACV already on so many things, and have found that it softens the skin too. So this idea is intriguing for me. Also we will be living in campgrounds very soon, so repellant on my skin all the time is repelling to me,lol! We will soon be full-time rv'ers, so thanks Sweetkymom for the information, we will be trying it!

campforums likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

The best thing you can do is to wear close fitting, long-sleeved clothes. Although this is sometimes not practical I have found that insects are the most pesky around the evenings which is when I would normally put something a little heavier on anyways.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have a particular brand that I like that I mentioned before but I tried a new product recently. Mosquito Shield Insect Repellent [Wilderness Formula. It has 30% deet. I don't usually like sprays because I end up breathing some in. But I liked this product.

BM

4. campforums

I was actually talking about this recently with my brother and he was telling me that in America the bug repellent they sell there is much stronger than the stuff that is in most stores here in Canada. Might be something to checkout if you are ever in the states and remember you need bug spray!

5. Northern Dancer

I think you are right about that. The stuff I have is sufficient. I only use it when I really have to. The end of June was still really buggy. I've been looking for some kind of product that I can use for the dog. Horse flies love to chew up his ears.

6. campforums

Just be careful that you put it in a place where he can not lick. Dogs eat all kinds of nasty stuff that is not good for them :vomit: (at least mine does)

7. Northern Dancer

You are right of course. It's interesting to watch how he manages bugs. And it is true - they will eat/drink just about anything.

campforums likes this.
  8. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

I love to make homemade citronella candles. Citronella oil is extracted from a grass related to lemongrass and is excellent at keeping mosquitoes away. A lot of store-bought citronella candles don't work-look closely at the label, people! A lot of them are simply "citronella scented". Home made citronella candles are fun to make, inexpensive, and usually turn out a lot cuter than the store bought candles.

All you need are canning jars, wicks, wax (bar form or flaked), citronella oil, and food coloring (for a colorful candle).

There are tons of alternatives to chemicals: eucalyptus wards of ticks, ants hate peppermint oil, and patchouli usually keeps flea at bay.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I would prefer to have an OFF spray to repel those bugs. It would be funny to have bug zapper out there in the forest. Bug comes in and tries to bug you and then boom its gone.

10. Northern Dancer

Again...it all depends on what you are doing and the kind of camping that you are pursing. For me it has nothing to do with preference or like - the question has to be - "Does it work?" During May and into June black flies, horse flies, deer flies and mosquitoes don't particularly care what you like. :cool: Come the end of June, into July and August I tend not to use bug spray at all unless there is a peculiar change in the atmosphere that creates a bug fest. Usually by late June the bugs die down considerably and I just tolerate the few that are left.

It is true what Tess says, "...a lot of store bought stuff doesn't work." You need to read the label, check the consumers reports and judge what is appropriate for your situation. Not every brand is a good brand for you.

11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Yeah as far as things have been in my house I have been dealing with spiders. When I went to Caswell State Park I would encounter maybe the annoying flies. Those flies would just have a party with your face LOL.

12. Northern Dancer

In our area there are a variety of insects of course but usually things are okay at the end of June. We have experienced unusual weather conditions this year. Day time temperatures are around 22 - 26 Celsius [72 - 78] but this year we have watch late teens and early twenties. I know that your neck of the woods is a lot hotter than our area. So...it probably means that you have other biting insects that we would have.

13. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

The good thing is that I don't really have to worry much since I am mostly inside the house. I do see bees at certain times of day. Occasionally I have seen some wasps go by and I would not want to deal with that.

14. To be honest, I don't like spraying insect repellents on my skin because of to many chemicals in it. It's really harsh for my skin, because my skin has broken out really badly. I like using natural products on my skin. I like using natural oils made from herbs such as lavender, mint and lemon grass. These oils work great on my skin as an insect repellent.
    These oils definitely keeps the bugs away... :couchpotato:

What I have also done when I'm out camping, I wear a long sleeve shirt, long tights or sweat pant at night when I'm going to sleep. Wearing these type of clothing proctects me from insect bites also. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  15. Northern Dancer

If it works - it works. I have trouble with sprays too because they effect my breathing. I tend to use a cream and I only do that when necessary. I have used a bug jacket once because the bugs were so bad that I felt that I didn't have a choice. And it is true - wear the appropriate clothing avoiding dark or black colours.

I have excellent tents so my main defence is a fly swatter at the end of the day. I search the bugs out and when they are eliminated I can bed down for the night.

NaturalBeauty_35 likes this.
  16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

That is the only issue with the insect repellent that it does that to your skin. If anything wear a long sleeve shirt to go with your pants. Tight pants are a plus for those situations.

17. Yes, I do wear long sleeves like I have stated above. Spraying insect repellent on my skin is a no no for me. :confused: I'm gonna stick to my natural oils and long clothing. Sometimes, I've used Avon Skin So Soft the Original, and that have also kept the bugs away, especially the mosquitoes. They've both worked very well for me... ;)

18. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

How well does Avon work on skin? I have been looking for a way to keep my skin smooth but I have skin creme that I got in my room. I don't use a insect repellent.

19. Avon Skin So Soft works pretty well on my skin. It's an after shower body oil lightly scented. It keeps my skin feeling smooth, moist, and soft. I think it could be what's in the ingredients, or it could be the fragrance that keeps the bugs away. They're different kinds of fragrances, and you can either buy them in a beauty supplies store, eBay or on the Avon site itself.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  20. Northern Dancer

You still have to purchase what works and how you plan to use it. I'd be dead meat if I wore anything into the wilderness that had a fragrance.

Draft saved Draft deleted