1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Is Your Favorite Insect Repellant

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 1, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Thanks for the like this posted - very much appreciated. I hope that you are enjoying the sight. Thank you too for your sharing with Camping Babble.

2. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

So what is our conclusion here? what should we use? This thread has made it harder for me to make a decision now lol

3. Northern Dancer

Well...the reality is that you have to use what actually works [or you think works] for you. In your situation it would be best to look at our products in this country [and the products sent to us from the US] and make an informed decision. Please stay away from the gimmicks that have no value of any sort. I understand that the clip on keep away bugs has been well tested and it is, for all intentional purposes, useless.

If you are going into the interior in early spring you better be prepared with the best. If you are out in the middle of the summer at a conservation area or an organized camp site in most cases you probably really don't need any kind of repellent. [Again...good bug stuff is only a repellent - they will come a looking for yah but they should not land on you - IF the stuff you have on is good.]

This year was buggy and so I carefully selected the tested brands and they all worked. Still a lot of bugs - but they just didn't land on me.

I would be happy to share products again if you like. :)

4. BMWPOWER

Please share the products, but I am not promising you any sponsorships.

5. Northern Dancer

I know....I know...we have to be none partisan. :(

By the way...it's good to see you on line. :)

Here are the products that I use -

1 Muskol Insect Spray Repellent - 23.5 % Deet - CDN
    2 Mosquito Shield Insect Spray Repellent Wilderness Formula - 30% Deet - CDN
    3 Watkins Great Outdoors Insect Repellent Lotion - 28.5 % deet - USA

A little bit of an explanation -

I use Muskol Insect Spray Repellent on the dog's scar [for around the neck] and also on his vest if I see that he needs it.
    Never spray insect repellent on the dog directly. I use it too of course.

When things are really really bad I use the Mosquito Shield Insect Spray Repellent Wilderness Formula - sparingly. But things have to be really bad.
    Make sure you wash your hands after using this one. If I'm out in May and early June I carry this one with me if I'm not in a bug jacket.

The last one is the one that I prefer in that it is a lotion, smells nice, goes on easily and you don't breathe it in accidentally.

BECAUSE THESE PRODUCTS ARE A CHEMICAL read the label. Keep it away from children and pets. [Other than the use as mentioned above.]

There are other products in the market and you can decide what might be best for you. Keep in mind, for the serious camper, it is the deet content that one must consider. I have used homemade products but not very successfully and I prefer the manufacturers product line because it is consistent. Some people will find that they can do just fine at one level of deet when others will do better at a higher level. Some - and I have bud that's this way - nothing seems to want to bit him. :yuck:

Is this information helpful?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  6. BMWPOWER

This is very helpful, will refer back to this every time someone asks me about repellent. So what does the Deet actually mean? Is that like a term used to describe strength, like SPF in sunscreen? Does the bottle have the Deet right on it?

I actually have a Muskol branded repellent in the shed, but never tried it.

and finally, i have always been online.

7. Northern Dancer

Glad to know that.

Deet is scientifically called diethyltoluaminde, a colourless oily liquid with a mild odour. It was developed by the United States Army in the Second World War for jungle warfare. Deet apparently blinds the insects senses. The military use a higher degree of deet as one might expect.

It is not to be use under clothing or even on clothing for that matter - other than the spray because it happens naturally.

All products containing deet must have the content clearly marked on the product including the warnings. Check your product and let me know what it says in terms of the deet content.

How do I know this stuff?

A few wilderness seminars and lectures that were designed to help people like me learn more. :)

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Don't worry my friend anyone's odor would either be a nuisance or a benefit to you against certain danger LOL. Just kidding just being sarcastic I don't think a fragrance would kill me I would just smell like woman. Its just that dealing with smells is something some could tolerate vs those who cannot.

9. Northern Dancer

Actually? I'm not known for roughin it and I tend to be neat and clean. Baden Powell, founder of the Scout movement, suggested that the only people who rough it are the tender pads - or the amateurs. So I take care of myself. When you are with a group of guys for ten days or so you kinda get tired of the dirty look. :)

How are you? Good to see you on line.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well at least I can see you are a clean person. That means that we can camp together in the same group and know that the other is clean.

11. Northern Dancer

:)

12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

;) Just had to check to see if you were listening LOL. I mean I just don't like being around foul odors.

13. Northern Dancer

Yep!

So... what do you think? Will you be able to get away even if it's just for a weekender? You have a lot of great places to camp in your neck of the woods. I was checking Turlock out and you seem to be in the heart of outdoor country. I could take those warm temperatures - especially in the winter. Well, then again, I like the snow too.

14. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well Turlock is one of those places where you can see the mountains but I don't really get to do much but chores. I hope to get to a point where I can get a car of my own so I can travel to different places.

15. BMWPOWER

sorry for the late reply, just checked the Deet content and its 23.5 % Deet

16. Northern Dancer

I hope you do too as it looks like you are ready for outdoor adventures.

17. Northern Dancer

That's okay - there are other things to do in life. Twenty five per cent deet should be enough. You are covered - you just need to remember to bring it when you have too.

18. Northern Dancer

More about bugs...

Camping in Bug Season...while keeping sane Kevin Callan
    www.kevincallan.com
    videos - Bears, Bugs & Beaver Feaver

19. Northern Dancer

Health Canada is pulling the last of citronella-based bug sprays off the shelves by the end of December because of "the absence of adequate safety data.” The essential oil has been used as an insect repellent in Canada for decades.

The move has left scientists who advised Health Canada on the issue befuddled by the ban. So are many consumers who prefer natural bug sprays over ones with synthetic chemicals like DEET.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    campforums likes this.
  20. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted