1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Is Your Favorite Insect Repellant

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 1, 2014.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

So then I could use OFF insect repellent and be fine. If the repellent is good enough then fine but its a repellent so the bugs would still come around.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Do you figure 1 squirt of 40% DEET bug spray would provide the same effect as 2 squirts of 20% DEET spray?

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Read the label. Remember it is only a repellent in that bugs will still come your way to check you out but should not land on you.

4. Northern Dancer

Interesting - I hadn't thought of it that way. When it comes to medicine and prescriptions the rule is always do only as directed. However, 20% deet should be fine. Some adult persons need less some will need more - it's up to the individual to check it out and see what is best. :) Conditions will effect use as well. Mid May to about mid June the bugs seem to be at their best.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    campforums likes this.
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I do read labels LOL. I just have to be cautious still since the bugs flying around could still be a nuisance to deal with. I just make sure that I keep those nasty bugs from my food LOL.

6. Northern Dancer

True.

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

SO true just have to make sure I got enough bug spray at home. Off spray here I go its going to have to work lol.

8. weekender

weekender Newbie

Because I have children, I prefer using natural and organic - based ingredients as insect repellents. I mix a coconut oil based solution which includes 20 ml of virgin coconut oil, 12 drops of citronella essential oil, and 12 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. It works for about three to four hours. During camping, I use the insect repellent stickers on the inner parts of the tent to keep the mosquitoes away.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Sounds like the oils work fine against those crawlies. I would probably just use Off insect repellent. It sounds like one of the best thing to use unless there is something better.

10. campforums

Hey, @Northern Dancer

I was in the US for some time last month and look what I found, DEET 98.11% :eek:

IMG_20150102_221059.jpg

11. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

The absolutely best insect repellant I've found is winter camping.

12. campforums

That's the brand name? Ironic, considering the number of insects buzzing around when it's cold out...

13. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I have to say, you've got me wondering about where both of us live. When we go out in the cold and snow, I can't say I recall ever seeing any bugs at all. No flies, no mosquitoes, no spiders.... nothing. Even the critters are at an absolute minimum. Once in a while we'll see a squirrel or deer that had to get up to go pee or something, but even that's rare.
    Is it really that different in the Great White North?

14. campforums

Not really, in fact in some places we actually have it warmer. This winter has been very mild so far.

15. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Even though we have had some unusually cold weather here in Alabama; there were actually ticks out crawling around when I was out hiking this weekend. They were little ones; so I am not sure if they were newly hatched ones, or just a small size of tick. Normally, we don't have any problem with bugs in the winter here; so we don't even have to use the "Winter Camping" bug repellent to keep them away.

My mom always said that taking brewers yeast tablets would keep the skeeters away, and it did seem to work for her, and she said that the candy bars that my dad ate would attract them because of the higher sugar content in the blood.

I think that the brewers yeast does help to repel the mosquitoes, ticks (and fleas on the dogs), but when there are a lot of insects wanting to feast on your blood; then a repellent is also in order. I have had fairly good luck using the Avon SSS; and either Off or Cutter makes one that smells similar, but seems to work better. Can't think of the exact name of it at this moment; but come spring; I will be getting some of it again.

16. Northern Dancer

WOW! That is mighty powerful stuff. If you bought it and plan to use it READ THE LABEL VERY CAREFULLY. I have a hunch you would not be able to purchase that over the counter on this side of the boarder. The military and other such like organizations have ready access to that kind of stuff. Did you buy it? If you did how much did is cost?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  17. Northern Dancer

You are so practical MacGyver you would make an excellent QUARTERMASTER :thumbsup:.

18. Northern Dancer

What kind of temperatures are you enjoying these days? We have just gone through a very cold weather pattern and I keep thinking about the equipment I'm taking to a winter camp at the end of the month. In fact, I just purchase sleeping bag slippers - because I figure I'm in for a surprise. :coldfeet:

19. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

It was actually back up to around 60 again today (yea!!) When we had that arctic blast come through, we were around 22+ in the day and about 7F at night, and below zero with the wind chill. It was in the 50's this weekend when I went out on the hike with Robin. Sleeping bag slippers, Dancer??

I have never heard of those; but it sounds like an excellent idea for winter camping. Or you can find someone that likes to knit and have them make you a pair of socks. I have been making those for many years; and when used over top of a lightweight regular sock; they will keep your feet really warm. Since the heels and toes can be re-knitted as necessary, hand-knitted socks will also last about forever.

image.jpg

20. campforums

Yeah, I know right? I had to double check the label because I was sure I made a mistake reading it the first time but nope! I didn't end up buying it but I don't think it was very expensive. I think I would have remembered if it was something outrageous, but I still have a few bottles of bug repellent that I need to work my way through so I didn't get it. You can get some too if you like, it was at a Target store so I'm sure it isn't that hard to find.

21. Northern Dancer

What's a Target store? Just joking, a bad one at that.

22. Northern Dancer

That kind of temperature is consider short pant season in this neck of the woods. We had - 4 Fahrenheit last week and our area is further south than some of the boarder states. Unusual for sure. I prefer around - 10 C [14 Fahrenheit] when I'm out winter camping but you have to be ready for anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted