1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Is Your Favorite Insect Repellant

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 1, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

This is my winter sleeping gear -

upload_2015-1-19_20-3-28.jpeg
    Sleeping bag slippers or socks to keep my feet warm; though mine are coloured coral and are made of a flannel material.

upload_2015-1-19_20-8-12.jpeg
    I have a rectangle style Mossy Park sleeping bag [so I can roll around comfortably] rated at -15/25 C
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdkjnxhiXtC4OLZ-eouScjqtxIX5vbjjGoYGF2hjD4UWjJ5cdDeQ.jpg
    One sleeping bag liner - provides extra warmth and keeps the sleeping bag clean.

upload_2015-1-19_20-13-53.jpeg
    A skiers balaclava to keep my head and neck warm.

upload_2015-1-19_20-16-11.jpeg
    Bear fur [artificial you say] pillow slip.

So...what do you think? Can I sleep nice and warm and snugly during a winter blizzard?

:bear: Well...he has done it more than once for sure.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

social-icon.png

3. Northern Dancer

_____________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I do remember that symbol now - I hear that there are some mighty big sales coming up.

4. campforums

Yeah, I dunno. I have only been to the Canadian one once and was not impressed.

5. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

For thick socks, I love Bass Pro Shops. Their Redhead boot socks cost $10 (last time I checked anyway) and, maybe unbelievably, they have a lifetime warranty. Pop a hole in one, just take 'em back to the store for an exchange. I had to ask a cashier if the warranty was for real and she said it was - and that they do appreciate it if you wash them before returning them.

6. Northern Dancer

I don't want to be unkind - but it was administrative arrogance at it's worse. I really think they thought we would all drop our Tim Horton's coffee and run right over. That didn't happen.

7. campforums

A lifetime warranty on socks... wow, that IS unbelievable. Have you had to use it yet?

I get a lot of my socks from Mark's work wearhouse and Costco.

8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Yep - I've returned one pair and have two more waiting to go back.

campforums likes this.
  9. Northern Dancer

I do use wool socks but I found on real cold nights that the sleeping bag slippers were the best. I use wool socks for boot wear throughout the day. Some of my colleagues use a type of foot bag when it gets really cold but I like the ability to move around in my sleeping bag with greater ease. I'm one of those sleepers that seem animated though out the night.

:bear: That's why a lot of people don't like bunking with him - but don't tell him that.

10. campforums

Good, it sounds like you are getting your money's worth then :D

11. campforums

Yeah well the one time I went there it was indistinguishable from the Zeller's store it replaced, but at the same time I feel like there is always going to be disappointment when stores come from the US to Canada because the expectations are set so high and it is nearly impossible to maintain the exact same prices and service in Canada and the US.

12. Northern Dancer

________________________________________________________________________________________

That's a proven fact. We forget that we are two different countries even though we speak the same language - sort of. :(

13. Northern Dancer

....what was the topic again....I seemed to have forgotten. What year is it anyway? o_O

happyflowerlady and campforums like this.
  14. campforums

A foot bag? Sounds like a sock by another name lol

15. Northern Dancer

____________________________________________________________________________________________

It is actually a bag that both feet fit into. I guess one big sock for two feet. As you can see I'm not into the bag concept. Then some people think my boot like socks/slippers look just as silly. BUT...it's about warmth and not being stylish.

If all goes well at the end of the month I will have pictures of all this stuff in my winter video.

16. campforums

Oh okay, that makes sense. Does that mean that you are also more a glove person instead of mittens?

17. Northern Dancer

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Both. I prefer gloves, but mitts contain the heat better. However, they aren't much good when you are trying to do things that require manual dexterity. Mitts are always recommended for winter camping.

Then again, with some of the new technology there are gloves that are just as good. I have a good pair of gloves that are attached to my snow jacket so I don't have to lay them down.

I have seen the new heat warmers that are battery operated. When I find the site again I'll post it.

18. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

:bear: That's why a lot of people don't like bunking with him - but don't tell him that.

Little :bear:, moving around a lot is better than snoring like a grizzly bear! lol :eek::)

19. Northern Dancer

...and he is warm and cozy and big enough to scare off just about anything. I call him Reese. :)

Nice to see you on line.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  20. Northern Dancer

Here is some information on heated gloves. [One product only - check for others.]

IF YOU PLAN TO BUY COMPARE PRICES - READ CONSUMER REPORTS

As seen in the Winter 2014-2015 Outside Magazine Buyer’s Guide, the breathable, windproof GORE® WINDSTOPPER® and ALTIHeat™ battery-powered heating technology of the versatile StormTracker Heated Gloves spar with the most heinous weather. Durable water-resistant leather palms withstand punishment, and a TPU injected mould design at back of hand adds a layer of protection. Athlete favourites, these gloves tackle alpine climbing, ski touring or ice climbing.

For the video and complete story behind the ALTIHeat Heated Gloves, check out the article on Verticulture: Designed by Adventure - ALTIHeat Heated Gloves.

QUESTION? Will I get a pair? Kinda pricey and a product that I would rarely use. I dunno.

21. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Sorry, Reese, I should have know. The caption says bear, thus the confusion. Now Erik find us more tiny creatures to pick from.

22. Northern Dancer

A good idea...how could we have possibly left out the dog? [...and we know that Erik has one too.]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted