1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Is Your Favorite Insect Repellant

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 1, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yep, here she is...

DSC_1008.jpg

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Erik, she is a beautifu dog !
    I love the look in her eyes, so intelligent and loving. Poodles are my most favorite dog. I think that they have so much intelligence, and are devoted and loyal and loving.
    I have never had a large one like yours, just the smaller ones; but I am sure that the disposition would be just as awesome. My Mr. Chipper is a Yorkie-Poo, and his mother, Peaches, was one of the smartest little dogs ever.
    She would come to the door of my computer room, and scratch gently on the side of the doorto tell me that she wanted out, andwhen she was thirsty, she actually would say "waa-waa" in her cute little doggy voice.

Here is a picture of a miniature Poodle that I had that yours reminds me of.

image.jpg

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thank you for the kind comments, yes poodles do tend to have nice personalities. I find that smaller dogs in general tend to be a bit skittish though. The poodle we have now is a bit smaller than the last one and is a bit more cautious.

Piper (my dog) has a slightly longer nose but I think you are right that they look similar. When she wants to go out to the backyard she will go to the back and wait... and bark sometimes if it takes someone in the house a long time to notice and open the door. Also when I come inside it is funny because she will run up and wait until I have removed my shoes and jacket before jumping up on me to play.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I was told by a friend of mine who is a retired army ranger, that he was told and trained to eat a lot of garlic whenever they are in the bush. That kept the mosquitos away. I have never tried it before but I love garlic. Does anyone else have experience with eating garlic in the wild?

5. CARiD

CARiD Newbie

Make sure to eat garlic altogether if you're not camping alone, as it's smell will keep both mosquitoes and companions away :)
    A repellant spray is often useless because of many factors, so I often use a regular head net just like this one (of course if the place is full of mosquitoes).

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

That's an option that I have used...but I still use the proven products. The beginning of this thread has a lot of information and collective experience.

Really good to see you on line CARiD - I like the avatar and name - creative. :) Tell us more about your camping stuff on introductions.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Welcome CARiD glad to have you. I started taking an inexpensive garlic substitute years ago mostly because my mom and wife said it supposed to help keep colesterol down. It is odorless, and for me it has improved my slightly weird skin iching condition, and it appears to keep mosquitoes at bay. But in these here hills of tn, there aren't, any that I know of, swamps. I sure don't hear the swarms of mosquitoes here like I did in northern Michigan. So I can't swear by it, but has worked for me. I don't know why mosquitoes are not as much a problem here as up north? Maybe the soil is different.
    Hey CARID, can you get us any discounts on camping equipment? Harr.

8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...but then again in our neck of the woods, come spring in the north - mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, and ticks are in abundance and I use powerful stuff to protect myself. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNSFghtdy2dIr4j9h37HbR9n5UtWfzOeqoDLVZk_HgrYc1mdk1ow.jpg

This is what a Muskoka Mosquito looks like - as you can appreciate it comes with an attitude. :finger:

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I realy do hate mosquitoes. Those fingers must be so they can turn a drill and bore a hole to a vein. When I was about 6 we went to Minnesota, and I remember looking at my arm with a couple of small streams of blood running down it. Being 6 years old I was horrified the mosquitoes back home in Michigan would just nail you and suck, but they didn't leave hole like those in Minnesota. My brother, who was 7 then, and I slathered on some stuff dad gave us, I think it had deet in it but this was1971 so who realy knows what it was but we knew better than to touch our eyes or pick our noses... aw come on we were little boys so that's what little boys do.., anyhow we were standing on this old wooden dock looking out over this beutiful lake when my brother points into the water and says "hey look there is something shiny on the the bottom" well being the wuss I am I told him I wasn't going to jump in, so he peeled off his tee shirt and pants and jumped off the dock. It was only 3 or 4 feet deep but enough to where he had to go head first to reach his newly discovered treasure. He came up and put it on the dock to show me, it was a pocket knife, eh I wasn't realy impressed I was just thinking about him doing something daring and stupid one of these days and getting himself killed. He climbed up on the dock and started to get dressed. He had one pant leg on when I saw it, skeeters landing on the bare skin of his back he started slapping around and finally got his pants on, grabbed his shirt and ran for the cabin. He looked like an all you can eat buffet next to a bad weight watchers clinic. I figured he must have washed some of that stuff off when he jumped in.

I have used some stuff with deet in it years ago, and it disolved or should I say melted the plastic sort of foam stuff on my fishing rod. Deet is some nasty stuff I don't want to get it on my canoes, can't afford to have holes melted in em. So y'all keep the skeeters and deet up north, and I'll contend with my slithery friends copperhead, cottonmouths, and rattle snakes.

Sorry long winded as always.

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted