1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What is your go-to snack?

Discussion in 'Food' started by Esperahol, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

When you're camping, hiking, or fishing what is your go-to snack? My is homemade granola bars - it is not in the least bit healthy, but it tastes awesome and I can make dozens of bars at a time. My other snack is a dehydrated stew I keep in a thermos and just add hot water to. I know stew isn't what most would call a snack, but I eat like a horse so yeah. What about you guys?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I like to try my best to keep my diet balanced even when I'm not at home with my fridge and stove.
    Here are some things that I almost always pack (all of which are quite healthy):
    • Protein bars
    • Assorted nuts or trail mix
    • Whole fruit

3. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I am a fan of the nature valley bars. Sure they are packaged, but they have some nutrition to it. Maybe I am under a spell of advertising, but they work for me. Yum!
    I like the chewy ones because they are easier to eat than the crunchy.

4. campforums

I used to buy the crunchy ones and found that they always crumbled in the packaging before I could open them. They are also loaded with too much sugar for me to consider them that nutritious.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Ah, but campforums - they're delicious and full of things like fat, sugar, and salt. If you're really roughing it then that's much better for you then you might think. "Healthy" foods are better for sedentary lifestyles - junky foods are better for active lifestyles... too a point. Goodness knows some of the old trails were like to kill you.

6. campforums

That's true too some extend that while you're active you'll need more calories but active or sedentary, it really isn't optimal to be getting too much of your carbohydrates from simple sugars like the ones in most snacks.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

What you say may in fact be true - but I don't care about optimal. I just really need to enjoy my life while I have it - and getting old sucks.

8. TABL

TABL Explorer

I think my go-to snack is either fresh fruit, or trail mix while I'm hiking (because I always have kids with me!) We do tend to eat packaged foods, more than we should and I'm trying to ease away from them... but when we are camping it is much easier to only pack the healthy stuff!

Draft saved Draft deleted