1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What is your preference

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Panda©, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Panda©

Panda© Newbie

One of the biggest decisions you will make when considering a camping trip is, "where shall we go" so what are your preferences?

Your choices are simple, will you visit a camp site which traditionally will supply washing facilities and a shower block. On many sites you will find a well stocked shop and a watering hole offering soft drinks for the children and something a little stronger for the adults. Camp sites such as these are very popular and offer safety in numbers but you will be restricted with your activities and almost certainly camp fires will be forbidden.

The alternative is to trek and find yourself a grassy area of land in the middle of nowhere, obviously you will not have the benefit of the facilities a camp site offer, you will be left to nature, on the plus side though, if you want a camp fire to sit around and sing as loud as you can, you are able to do that alongside other activities such as shooting. The main consideration when choosing this option is safety, you need to be aware your on your own in the middle of nowhere, so be careful and vigilant.

I choose the second option i love the great outdoors in its most natural setting, the freedom to go back to our animal instincts is too great for me after a year of political correctness and sensible behavior.

2. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Me and my family would probably choose the first option just because some of the people in my family like to play it more safe :p

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

My wife would prefer "Glamping" like Disney World in a mobile home "cabin." Having done both that and rustic, I actually prefer more facilities, especially with kids.

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

When I look for a campground, my main focus is on my kids. I like campgrounds that offer family activities, or children's activities. We like hiking, walking, bike riding, etc. There are many places that do things like this.
    I always want bathrooms and showers. I'm not ready for bare-bones camping!

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

It does depend on the area and time of year. We used to go to Disney World in Orlando in the middle of summer with our young kids. The secret was to go into the park as early as possible, have fun until about 2 pm, come back to Ft. Wilderness and out "cabin" (small mobile home), have a good lunch and everyone take a nap. Then get up and eat again before going back into the park until closing.

Nothing like a 3 hour nap during the hot part of the day in air conditioned comfort - Now that's Camping!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I like a camping facility that at least has bathrooms and some kind of shower, however basic. I admire the people that can go to the bathroom in the woods and do rugged, outdoor-sy things like pick and/or kill their own food. I would probably poison myself if I went looking for wild berries and medicinal herbs. I don't need a fancy cabin, but I at least need a shack to go to the bathroom in and a roll of TP. One camping facility I went to had vending machines with sodas. I tried to hold out, but on the third day, I got a Coke and a Snickers. I am so weak.

7. charity

charity Newbie

Same here. I have to make sure the kids will be entertained and happy or the whole camping trip will be a miserable disaster. My daughter is not into camping, so the more things to keep her occupied the better she is. I also want bathrooms and showers near, I don't like going in the woods, I am always scared a snake will bite me when I least expect it. ;)

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

This is definitely appealing, but for me it all comes down to who I'm going with. Depending on the group of friends and family I know we will have a better time in different types of camp settings. I like to think that the first can be more relaxing since usually its not too too busy that you can't still get some peace and quiet but the second is more adventurous! :D

9. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I don't consider it "camping" to go to those facilities. The only time I see people who do that are ones who are going out to the lake to swim and will sometimes stay overnight and use the showers/bathrooms/etc.. Even they don't tend to say they're going camping, though....at least not around here.

10. shylambert

shylambert Newbie

I like to go somewhere far from the technology, away from the busy city. I'd choose trekking and camping on top of the mountain. Anyway, I'd only want to camp overnight.

11. lorr

lorr Newbie

We had been camping in a pop-up for about 20 years but just got a travel trailer with water & bathroom. We like state campgrounds with a shower & toilet, now with the trailer, I don't have to go out in the cold & walk down there to use facilities. We like to sit outside & cook over a fire. (The trailer also alows for a T.V. but that is absolutely dumb, who goes camping to sit inside & watch T.V.?)

12. campforums

I agree with you on the television but I like it one step further and without the other facilities either. Although I can see how that might be more of an issue for females.... lol

13. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

I have 2 big requirements for choosing a camping site. 1) There must be running water. I think the whole reason I go camping is to listen to the water babble when I sleep. 2) I don't want to be able to see or hear any other campers. I want to feel alone in the woods. The state parks with sites marked and crammed right next to one another are OK for day camping, but I wouldn’t want to sleep there.

14. lorr

lorr Newbie

Hi, The State Park I go to doesn't have the people cramed together. As a matter of fact it is so popular & big, we tried to book a site (in Jan.) for memorial day weekend but they are full.

15. campforums

I guess that's why they don't have people crammed together. :p

16. lorr

lorr Newbie

Yeah :(

Yes..we females can't just just walk to a tree or bush & just ........:dodgy:

17. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

When I go camping alone I will hike deep into the wilderness usually near a water source. If I go camping with family members we usually go to a campground were they have showers and restroom facilities. We will also bring the camper out with us.

18. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When I was younger I enjoyed the the remote backwoods adventures with nothing but finding that hidden valley in between two mountains along a stream or river bank.
    But now I take the first choice of a campground with at least an outhouse. I can bring in all other supplies, but as an older person I find the going in the woods part a bit harder to manage. Plus, the folks that come with me usually have the same feelings about safety and easier conditions.

Draft saved Draft deleted