1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What is your Totem

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by killeroy154, Aug 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

83549f0305802f81af52b633fe9d9cbf.jpg

My wife asked me long ago what I thought my totem might be. I told her I never realy thought about it, but I would guess the otter because they love the water. She said she figured it would be the beaver. Why i asked. Because, she started to explain, like the otter I love the lakes and streams and they will always draw me to them and be part of my life, but I am always to busy, like the beaver, to have all that time to enjoy and play like the otter. My wife has spoken, and the Beaver is my totem.

I have noticed some with their totem displayed at camp sites, on their campers or water craft.

What is your Totem?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Either a queen bee because I have a crazy ability to produce babies (sorry lol). Also my name is related to bee nymphs. My husband calls me honey bee.

However, I've been relating to wolves lately. Mainly the traits that I'm loyal, I kind of stick to/enjoy just being around family (my family is huge, anyway), my kids randomly start howling together and we say they're raised by wolves lol. They have manners, but we definitely encourage "wildness" and being outside, getting dirty, etc that most people seem to avoid these days. In fact, my next tattoo idea is a mother wolf surrounded by 3 pups, each having their own special significance related to of my kids. #1 on mom wolf's back, howling, #2 curled up with mom, and #3 playing with mom's tail.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

This discussion makes me want to select a totem of my own... :cool:

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ya know, I have no tatoos. My wife and I always joke about getting one, but we both just can't decide what we would want.

We frequently go to a city park that is on top of a mtn, and they have grey wolves. It is quite an attraction for people, and they are very interesting to watch. They got 3 new wolf pups February of last year. A tree fell across their fence a couple of years ago, and the wolf's escaped. They quickly found all but one. The last one was found a week or so later at an ederly ladies house. She thought it was a stray dog and was taking care of it. 5fc4cc52e4d7a2c3cb314ba273e60e7a.jpg

campforums likes this.
  5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

You should I've always been fascinated by it and to hear people's reasoning.

campforums likes this.
  6. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I have 12 tattoos. I'd like to get a couple of them redone eventually.

That's a neat story Would be interesting if they hadn't found out as the pup grew...

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I will have to think on this, it isn't a decision to make lightly :smug:

Some starting to fade? :(

8. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Indeed.

Well, more like covered up because I was an idiot, drunken 20 yr old getting free practice tattoos lol. My daughter came up to me once and said, "A clue, a clue! Wait, why do you have a clue on your chest, mommy?" (A paw print; she thought it was Blue's Clues.) "A string of poor decisions, honey..." Maybe I'll keep some for visual aid in my telling of cautionary tales.

"Look: This is a free tattoo and this is a $300 one."

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

My wife is much better at thinking up this stuff than I am. I like looking at people's tats, but I just haven't decided if I want one, or if I want one.

I order a decal of my totem, and if my wife approves of it, I'll put one on my canoe.

I would also like to get one of the Camping Babble patches to sew on my canoe thwart bag that I am going to make after I get a cherry cabinet project done that I have been working.

@campforum I'll send info if you have any left, and I don't mind paying for them or shipping.

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

What's wrong with blue clues? Everyone has done some not to smart things in our lives. It's part of the life of being human.

Maybe a tattoo of a beaver?? I don't know?

Hey on another subject, has Northern Dancer taken off on another trip? I hope he posts pictures when he gets back.

11. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Very true.

Tattoos have really come a long way; I'm sure you could get an awesome beaver design.

I originally wanted a sort-of totem pole to represent my family: an otter for my husband (which was kind of funny considering your original post), bee for me, wolf for my daughter, koala for one son, and a shark for my other... However, I decided that my husband already has enough space on me with our matching ambigram tattoos. One direction reads Michael and flipping it, it says Melissa.

I have a paper crane and two sleeping angel babies that I got in memory of my miscarriages. After my 3rd, I started making paper cranes because the myth goes that if you make 1,000, your wish will come true. I wasn't sure what I'd do with a thousand, so I started sending them to other bereaved mothers. My husband took me to get the crane tattoo the weekend before mother's day... At that point I was facing testing and the possibility I may never have children. Then I found out, on mother's day morning, that I was pregnant with my oldest :) Not only that but she was born on Christmas, too.

Most of my tattoos are related to some life event. I started a sleeve for my children after she was born, but I have yet to update the other two. I also have one of me and the older two hugging. I was thinking about how I'd add the littlest, but I came to the conclusion that I'd just get a new one and have my body art represent the story of our family.

The other tattoos... Well lol I guess the one good decision I made was talking my ex out of getting our names tattooed on each other. I presented the idea of getting similar tattoos instead, he got Carpe Diem and I got Carpe Noctem since I already wanted that.

Each one has a story. Some happy, some not so great lol. Tattoos are definitely another one of my favorite subjects.

12. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

black_bear.jpg No kidding?

2014_Bear_Paw_Print.jpg camp_logo_2014.jpg

The totem is on just about on very piece of camp equipment that I own.

IMG_0918.jpg From tarps, to tents and on my flag.

IMG_0911.jpg I know...I know...I know - a bit much!

2sweed likes this.
  13. Northern Dancer

------------------------------------------------------------- > o_O

Dunno - that beaver totem? Looks a lot like a Canadian symbol to me. Are your sure?

upload_2016-8-15_18-18-9.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkPkIRQU2hf8DRkdsS1gUIccG4j8GujYNg8FPzmjm0OU8hN-EgLA.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzHPJwx4V7rosecGtq6e3rjyf68kVZNdjnuoxPXj321P5YV_tBNg.jpg

Not to cause an international incident or anything. :)

14. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well I am half Canadian on my grandfather's side, and I like water and wood working. 5597e052224638ef65a0f3484cf4ed08.jpg .

What does "pro aris et focis" mean?

Northern Dancer likes this.
  15. Northern Dancer

....I like that. I don't have wood working skills beyond rudimentary stuff.

"pro aris et focis" means "For Altars and Firesides" I adopted it as a motto years ago. It reflects my vocation and my outdoor interests.

Can I say this? If we were a lot closer I would love to invite you on a canoe trip. I think that would be great.

16. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

@Dancer, Your Totem As a Totem Animal, the bear will carry many messages for us.
    • The primary meaning of the bear spirit animal is strength and confidence
    • Standing against adversity; taking action and leadership
    • The spirit of the the bear indicates it’s time for healing or using healing abilities to help self or others
    • The bear medicine emphasizes the importance of solitude, quiet time, rest
    • The spirit of the bear provides strong grounding forces

17. 2sweed

@killeroy154, Your totem the beaver tells us to believe in our dreams
    • Clearer understanding of our subconscious thoughts and dreams
    • Ability to mold our thoughts more constructively to suit our needs
    • Determination to follow our dreams
    • Diligence to keep and reach our goals
    • Balance and flexibility concerning ourselves and our expectations
    • Take time for self, friends and family. The people in our lives are most precious

Northern Dancer and killeroy154 like this.
  18. 2sweed

My totem The Wolf is a representative of deep faith, and profound understanding.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  19. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@2sweed, thank you I enjoyed that.

@Northern Dancer, thank you for the generous invitation. I would love to get up that way one of these days. If I ever can I'll give a shout.

20. Northern Dancer

----------------------------------------> :thumbsup:

And I can provide all the equipment too.

Draft saved Draft deleted