1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What knife do you live by?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hobbit, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

I used to always depend on the stereo typical swiss army knife until a friend suggested that a pair of sturdy scissors can be far more useful.
    He was right, cutting meat and food up for cooking is simple, I don't even need a surface.
    Bodging things together is safer when cutting off loose tied ends with scissors.
    Sorting out fishing lines is simple.

What situtation do you think a knife would be better over scissors?
    What knife do you use?

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow that is a good question. I have a little rough rider (same thing as a case, I think) that fits into my watch pocket. Very comfortable to carry, and stays sharp. Then I have a sheath knife with fixed blade. Very heavy duty and sharp. Can use for splitting small wood. I thought about investing in a good multi tool with pliers and scissors, but don't know if it get used enough to be worth the expense. Yes they tell me at work that my money's getting moldy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have a Spyderco Tenacious that I have posted about. It is cheap enough that I don't have to worry about it getting dinged up or lost so it is my go to for camping trips and it is just the right size (not too big, not too small) to do the things I normally need to do on a trip. Food prep, occasionally cutting rope or fabric, opening packages, cutting bark.

4. Faust

Faust Explorer

Puma SGB Catamount II
    140797_140826.jpg

5. campforums

I should take a look at that one, I've been wanting to get a non-folding knife since they are generally sturdier since you don't have to work about the hinge breaking

6. Faust

Faust Explorer

I got it at Cabela's, little pricey but it's held up to my abuse. One thing to be aware of is the stag antler handle can be a little under or a little over sized to the profile of the tang so definitely look to see if the handle and tang is flush, or close enough you won't feel it.

campforums likes this.
  7. campforums

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep that in mind when I am shopping for that knife or one of the same style. Do you use anything for sharpening it?

8. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I do have this handy pair of scissors that you can split in half and turn into whatever you perceive two sharp objects to be, you can use them like a ninja and stab whatever is attacking you or you can just use them as handy tools.

I do also have this beautiful knife that has on the blade what is known as a Damascus pattern. Its essentially this unique abstract pattern that makes your blade look really nice. It is said that the original methods of creating such patterns are unknown and modern methods that try to replicate the process are ruined by a lack of original build materials. They are known to have a bunch of properties that make them stronger than normal knives but I couldn't really be bothered to find out whether that is true or not, I just like the look of it.

9. Faust

Faust Explorer

Just a stone, a very large one. I "borrowed" it from work because I was briefly interested in making my own blades.
    (Practice sharpening on your cheapest, crappiest kitchen knife)

I'd love to see a photo, Damascus steel patterns are awe inspiring :)

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yeah I "borrowed" a stone from work to.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

11. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I don't have an exact picture of my own since putting an image onto my laptop is a painful process but I does look identical to this one I found. I like the more modern looking knives.

bowie-dark-lightning.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted