1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What to eat

Discussion in 'Food' started by Panda©, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Panda©

Panda© Newbie

Many people, when camping stick to the usual type foods like bacon, steak, burgers and sausage, but eating doesn't have to be so simple.

This is one my favorite recipes that i use:

Sticky Chicken Drumsticks

Ingredients:
    • 8 chicken drumsticks
    • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
    • 1 tbsp. honey
    • 1 tbsp. olive oil
    • 1 tsp. tomato purée
    • 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard

Make 3 slashes on each of the drumsticks. Mix together the soy, honey, oil, tomato purée and mustard. Pour this mixture over the chicken and coat thoroughly.

Leave to marinate for 30 mins at room temperature.

Place the chicken onto your preheated BBQ and cook for 35 mins, turning occasionally, until the chicken is tender and glistening with the marinade.

2. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

That sounds pretty good, I'm going to have to try to make it sometime :)

3. stiflex

stiflex Newbie

Well, they do sound really tasty. But when you're in the outdoors, its a little bit more difficult to actually go "number 2" in the woods. Alot harder than using your homes toilet :D

This is why campers stick on a normal camping diet. :)

4. Foster

Foster Newbie

I have tried those once! But not out camping. It is easier to "# 2" in the house than in the woods.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Nice recipe, but I try to stick with things that don't require too much extra prep or things like soy sauce. Besides which chicken just doesn't keep all that well - so yeah.

6. I've had the most success with the standard hotdogs and hamburgers for grilling, even pork chops and sausage. We typically bring a pan that we can cook on with a grate over the campfire, and this cooking style actually makes cooking almost anything possible. I agree with the statement about keeping prep simple. It can be a pain when you're dealing with too many ingredients, and then storing the meat can be difficult when you are camping for multiple days. I had to throw away ground beef and pork chops last time I went camping because they seemed to go bad in the cooler, so I try to at least bring frozen patties or meats to help them last a bit longer.

7. Faust

Faust Explorer

Sometimes it's better to cook your meat at home the day before you leave or cook the bulk of it at the campsite early in your trip.. If you take a skillet it's easy to reheat meats over a fire and still have it moist. Or freeze the meats..

Chicken Pesto Pizza;
    -Chicken
    -Pesto (or anything else, IE tomato sauce)
    -Pita Bread (or naan)
    -Favorite Cheese(s) & other toppings.
    *it's pizza so you can pretty much put anything you want on it..

Build your pizza the way you want it, You can cook it in a large skillet or by placing two layers of heavy duty foil over the grill on the fire.
    Depending on how hot the fire is or how far away the skillet/grill is from the coals you may want to grease or oil the foil/skillet (butter makes it better) though the pita will get crispy faster.
    Build a dome of foil to place over the pizza to encourage the cheese to melt.
    (if the cheese isn't melting fast enough but the pita is getting crispy, remove the pizza and fold it in half like a calzone, the cheese will melt by the time you sit down. If you used butter, sprinkle some garlic powder and parmesan cheese on top after folding).

The key is low, indirect heat.
    You can dice all the toppings at home so at the campsite you just need to spoon on your pesto (or other sauce), place toppings and cook. You can do this on your BBQ at home too, top rack with a layer or two of foil.

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I agree, especially since when you are cooking over a fire or using a hot plate the heat is less evenly distributed and it is harder to cook the meat uniformly. Precooking it can ensure that you have cooked it enough so that you don't have to worry about getting E. Coli or Salmonella. I know I've gotten sick more than once when I was a kid from hot dogs that were black on the outside and uncooked on the inside :vomit:

Also thanks for the recipe!

9. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

That sounds delicious, even if it wasn't for camping!
    Unfortunately I just bring a bunch of canned foods along with me.
    If I ever forget my can opener, I might go hungry or look like a caveman striking cans with a rock.

10. Jason

Jason Newbie

Oh great it makes my mouth water. Thanks for sharing it with us. So what color does it end in?

Draft saved Draft deleted