1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What's the furthest distance you've gone?

Discussion in 'Trails' started by campforums, Sep 1, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'm wondering how far people generally travel when they go out hiking, biking or whatever. During my summers at the cottage I would often go out on my bike to the next town over or bike along this long trail that went for all sorts of places including up and down mountains and along the water. Probably the furthest I've gone is about 30 km. After that it gets to be a bit much for me and that is tiring enough as it is.

ATVs don't count because they have a motor.

2. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Wow 30km! Was that for hiking?

Unfortunately I don't bike anymore due to a huge scare of injury/falling.

I like to hike though, even though I can twist an ankle. I probably have gone around 10 miles? I think I should go farther while I'm young.

3. campforums

Yeah the 30 km trips have been on my bike, I like the speed and I think I'd get bored if I did that walking. Also its true that you can fall off your bike but you don't really have much to worry about other than a few bruises and scraped knee. I would really try to get over you fear since biking is a great activity.

As for your ankle I think you get supportive hiking boots it will greatly reduce the risk of that happening.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Hmmm... I honestly don't count mileage. It's just a thing for me. That said if I could estimate things I guess.
    Hiking - Over 1/2 of the Appalachian trail. I'll finish it one day.
    Biking - No more than maybe 10 miles going... so like 20 miles round trip.
    ATVs are awesome, but sadly I'm lacking in one.

5. TABL

TABL Explorer

Wow! That's a long ride!
    I don't usually go too far, seeing as I always have children with me.
    But once we hiked up and back down a mountain called Bald Mountain... and I was not prepared for how long it was! It was beautiful and a great hike, great views and pictures. But I was the awful mommy who didn't bring water or snacks because I had no idea how long it was. I've never done that again!

6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I would have to say about 10 miles total. I loved walking in the woods alone and spent many times out in the far reaches of the forest exploring anything and everything that caught my attention. I loved following stream beds and finding old farmhouse foundations out in the middle of no where. Then there was the antique bottles found when old junk piles were discovered. Often I would set up a base camp and really explore big sections of the forest. But I would say the 10 mile limit still applied in those trips.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

It sounds like a lot, but it honestly isn't especially since I have never seen a ledge I didn't want to jump my bike off or a slick I didn't want to bounce down or ... I'm not very safe about riding my bike so ten miles is really easy to rack up and also I like walking a lot.

8. campforums

It is very satisfying to go on a long hike or bike ride until you are completely exhausted and then finally take a rest. It is the best part of exploring the wilderness in my opinion.

9. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I have done a 6 days of trekking with a group of people for 42 kilometers far. It was really tough as there were many parts that were steep and a lot of big hills. But for a day hike I have gone I did about 6 kilometers.

10. davbonpol13

davbonpol13 Newbie

On my birthday my husband surprised me with a great hiking trip! We took off on the trail and to my surprise I tired before he did! He is such a couch potato! It was a beautiful day, we took some food and wine in a backpack and found a nice spot on the edge of a bluff!

11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I get weary of the idea walking in the woods alone. I just get so many bad feelings especially if you go around night time. I believe there are ghost stories of ghosts who haunt in forest I just don't know specifically where.

Draft saved Draft deleted