1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What's your favorite multi tool and why

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AurelioLeo, Mar 23, 2013.

1. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I would like to hear from you on what is your favorite multi tool? I also would like to know why you like that particular multi tool for camping? What tools on it do you use the most while camping?

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I'm using a Leatherman Wingman I got for only $20 (including a Style CS). It's a good, basic MT and the price I paid was over half what the two normally go for so I'm happy.

3. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

For an urban enviroment I like my Victorinox "Mini Champ" Swiss Army Knife. When I go out into the bush I bring my Leatherman Wave with me. Back in the 80s I use to carry a Rambo Survival Knife.

4. spuncookie

spuncookie Newbie

My preferred utility tool is my marine issued kabar. It may not have a lot of bells or whistles, just a big blade really. But it's a heck of a knife. I don't like having to carry a lot of stuff around. I'm a minimalist for sure. I can just strap this thing to my belt and really don't need anything else. Cooked with it, ate with it, gutted fish, cut strings, used the pommel as a hammer, prized things open, open cans, hundreds of uses. Met this one kid who had used his to carve a house out of a redwood stump. I won't go into the woods without one.

5. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

That is a great knife to have on you when you are in the woods. I think that could be consider a multi tool just because it has multi uses for it. I like the abuse that particular knife can handle without a doubt it's one of the best out there.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have a similar opinion to @spuncookie, I much prefer a regular folding knife to a swiss army style multi tool with a dozen different functions. This is mainly because although they are well intended, most of the special tools don't really do the job much better than the main knife would. Most of the ones I've seen have included a serrated edge, a scissors, maybe a pointed end and almost always an extra small knife and bottle opener.

If you really find yourself using your knife for lot's of different things, maybe consider a knife with a half-serrated edge like this one:
    394925.jpg

Personally I prefer a plain edge, here's the knife I currently use:
    http://campingbabble.com/threads/spyderco-tenacious.3/

7. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

My trust swiss army pocket knife. I have used it on so many occasions.

8. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

Does a hobo tool count as a multi-tool? I love mine, but that's probably because I love to eat.

I also have a Gerber Dime Micro. It was under $20, it's small, and it's useful. There's a set of pliers on it that I don't really use much but I'm sure they'll come in handy some day. Also, it came in green and that's my favorite color so I had to get it ;)

I think I got it through my father's BudK catalog if anyone wants to check it out.

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That looks like a good one to attach to my keychain and carry around for everyday use since its about a third of the size of my other folding knives. The thing with multi tools though and the reason that I don't own one is that every time I've picked one up they just feel so flimsy to me and some of the smaller tools can be a real pain in the ass to get open.

ef24_dime_micro_multi_tool_inuse.jpg

Another option for a small portable knife would be something like this, (it is just the single blade though but about the same size as the Gerber)

C137_M.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted